25 December, 2017

Ho Ho Ho Merry Seawatch!


'Tis the season to be jolly and so on, and I couldn't let some half-decent [even if the fronts look to be all arriving a good six hours late - tut!] weather go by without having some fun.


So I toddled down to the Nose this morning - a little later than intended due to turning alarm off in sleep again.. - and gave the sea a couple of hours.

Oooh it was busy! Via timed count, I got hourly rates of 1250 auks, 500 Gannets and 200 Kittiwakes!

There wasn't much else.. a handful of BHGs and a few Fulmars, aside from the stars;

A Puffin!

Two Poms! [dark and light]

An Arctic! [dark]

The skuas came through in one burst of less than ten minutes, and really got my hopes up of epic birds. Well, maybe.

Epic bird, possibly.


Still, it was fun, with plenty to go through and some nice light, though my camera was at its most fiendish. So many times it just wouldn't focus, or I ht the shutter and it went out of focus and then took the picture.. Aaaaargh. Still, I got a few things, though ships were the easiest;

'Simar Esperanca'

Look at that crane!!

I was aiming at the Gannet..!!

Did I mention the dolphins? Yep, the horde of Common Dolphins still present in the area, though mobile and really hard to get on, and that's before my camera had its say...  As well as 30+ Common, there was at least one Harbour Porpoise present, and a couple of Bottlenose - looked like a mother and not so young calf - moved through north early on. I do have one other shot;

Common Dolphins!

I even ran into a couple of other hardy souls, down to look at the sea; so I'm not the only one mad enough to seawatch today! :)


There is and will be more, including lots on the other things I've been up to and some photos of things that are even in focus and clearly identifiable. Not just funguses, either. ;)

But time is pressing and I have pressies to deliver [Ho Ho Ho], so I shall wish you all a very merry time however and whatever you are celebrating [and even if you're not at all] and I shall

Be Seeing You..



No comments:

Post a Comment