10 December, 2017

Purple Patch


Still here, still on my feet [more or less], though the plague is still hanging on - hopefully this is at last changing - but I'm stuck in chafing at what might have been, with winter storms blasting past and me in no state to be off doing what should be done; seawatching!!

[What?!? I'm not insane. Winter seawatching is the best thing to do on windy days, and far healthier than futilely searching for passerines, or standing in the full force trying to count huddled waders or waterfowl while your scope shakes as in a 7.5 and you get handpothermia...
You wouldn't get a decent count, let alone a decent view anyway.
Contrast with a properly-sited seawatcher, well-wrapped and out of the blast, with warm drink to hand, and a nice view of hopefully something interesting and even northern flying past.
See? Like I said. Not insane.]



Anyways, Saturday started very well as far as birds went, with a flypast Little Owl on the way home from work! Get In.  :D  Not had one in the work area for.. oh, it is multiple years now.


After that I just had to do more, and so I made time from an unavoidable trip into Towne* to nip over to the Harbour to have a look at what the calm seas would show.

Lots of little yachtses....


I got nothing more spectacular than a Cormorant.

At least, on the sea.


On shore, the Real Living Coasts had at least 6 Sandpipers Purple, and as many Turnstones;

Sleeping Beauty

Think it's siesta time?

"I am awake, actually. I am merely not talking to you."

There was some activity

"Got any sarnies?"

But more from the Turnstones

"I'm big-feathered, ok?"

Standstone

"Ok, where did you leave your phone??"
"I'm sure it was on this bit.."

Dragging the gaze away from littoral cuteness [stop it], I couldn't help myself but zap at least one decortication;

Very festive

Getting back inland, I once again encountered that little warbler, but despite having the camera in hand, I was unable to get more on the fast-moving, hide-against-the-light artist than this;

Drat. Again.

I'm sure it's in there somewhere.. Oh well, if at first you don't succeed


Other birds had more manners [or ego];

"Oi! Monkey! Fill up the feeders!"


[I don't know what the problem was, there was still plenty, AND they haven't even touched the fancy fat balls yet!]


In other news,
The more observant among you may be wondering where the Yarner thing is. Well, I lent my Mushrooms book out without having written down the IDs of what I photo'd [oops], so until I get it back, I'm holding fire. ::shrugs::

Yes, I could just add in names afterwards, but I've played that game already.



Be Seeing You..



[[*Nope, no dipping Parrot Crossbills for this little black duck...]]

No comments:

Post a Comment