18 December, 2017

The Drawn-Out Nigh-Inevitable Dip


With my plague finally under control, it was time this weekend to get about seeing to that Parrot Crossbill [possibly requiring some ', though the seemingly kosher picture of it that was obtained after much effort has mysteriously vanished from all the net I can see.....??]


So on Saturday, with a half-decent forecast, I made my way over to Woodbury Common and set about scouring Upham's Plantation and environs.

I've been past it a couple of times in the past, coming from the north, but never into it, so this was at the very least a useful recce of a new spot.

Despite meeting a couple of birders who'd seen 'no birds', I was undeterred [especially as it turns out a Certain Somebody had had a ringtail before I got there!] and ended up staying until rain stopped play mid afternoon.

There are no Crossbill pictures coming. Not even dots. This is due to me not once finding the gits on the deck! [Or rather, tree] I was flown over four times by small parties; 2+ to 5+, but only once did I get a proper look and then they were three female types, all the same size and build, and I did not even have a hope of getting the camera on them.

However. One of said groups included an individual which called in a far different and very very Parrot-y manner. Indeed a manner which got me quite excited.
I did not see the bird which done the deed, [even as a dot] so I shall say only

BUGGER!!!

And leave it at that.


[[Yes, that looks stupid. Why? Because Google are muppets who can't write code. Is anyone surprised?]]



I also met and even saw some more obliging birds - to an extent - a lovely male Bullfinch, a highly vocal Goldcrest band, several GSWs, and 27 Redwing in one flock. Very nice, too.

Here's some scenery, and the obligatory bird shot;

Trees.

Tree.

Staking out sheltered cone-iferous conifers.


Got that flyover


Redwing!

Yeah, usual quality there.


Finally, in the spirit of things, here's the Kitchen Spider, striking a festive pose;

Ho Ho Ho


That's actually Spider* for "Thank you for fishing me out of the sink"




Coming up.. A post consisting of pictures of the sky. Yes, really.


Bated breath, folks.


Be Seeing You..






[[*A language of posture, impossible to use with less than 6 legs**]]
[[**And even then you apparently have a very silly accent...]]

No comments:

Post a Comment