06 January, 2018

Rapid News Post


Yes, actual today's news and everything!

After a long and vexing week, I finally was able to get over to Broadsands today!

Yup, just in time for the wind to shift from 'dead calm photo frenzy' to 'bone-blasting sea-mangler'...

Oh well, what can you do?

Cowering from the blast
There are divers in this photo. Really.


So, I suffered for my birds, and it was hard-earning I can tell you. The BN Grebe was off Broadsands with a couple of GCs and not toooo hard to find, and eventually some divers showed up; all off 'towards the north' - mostly looking at the bit of sea in front of Torquay Harbour to Kilmorie - and after a fair bit of looking, I reckon there were 5 GND and 2 BTD.

Well, it's either the Loch Ness Monster or a diver


The RN Grebe showed briefly towards Roundham for Will [who was next to me for a bit] but not me, so after having some lunch and a whole flask of coffee [warrrm] I set off from the semi cover at the beach end benches towards Elberry Cove.

Surprise. It's Elberry Cove


It took more than an hour, but eventually, and after two more GNDs and a spotty Grey Seal close in,


Yes, that is a Grey Seal
[Camera threw a paddy so you don't get to see a head. Move along]


I finally caught the RN Grebe on the surface - and the Slav as I was putting the scope on it! - as it had a quick preen off Elberry.

I do actually have a shot of the Slav - caught entirely by accident - but it's truly awful and even i won't inflict it upon you. Instead...

Visible Gannets

Invisible Gannets
[Drat!!!]


There was as you may guess from me almost getting a dive shot, an awful lot of Gannet-diving offshore - seemingly in an arc from NNE to ENE. I didn't catch any cetaceans on the surface but that's hardly a surprise in the chop. There were plenty of gulls and Fulmars about, with a scattering of Razorbills and Guillemots, Shags and Cormorants also on the sea. No skuas, but two trawlers well out were attracting clouds of gulls and I'd wager the odd skua, too!

Heading back, I found the Cirls well into two figures, and while regularly flushed by small childyrens on bicycles, they were back down just as fast.

Buntings

More buntings


No sign of any Firecrests, let alone warblers, but with the wind I wasn't shocked.


As those quick off the mark may have noticed, this post is now far more colourful than it was earlier. It is also not alone. I hope the reasons why I put that up there are clear and that you feel suitably educated. ;)


Be Seeing You..


No comments:

Post a Comment