25 May, 2018

And The Other Stuff


In which we find out what else I did on Sunday, and I also post yet more shots of what's coming into my skygarden..

Yeah, amazing stuff. No, really. It's better than it sounds.

Ok, not as amazing as it could have been, but that's birds for you.



Sunday.. After getting back from my FritFest, I had a siesta [oh how continental] then toddled off to my Pet Nightjar Site to look for.. Oh wait, I spoiled it already, didn't I?


The Nightjars were in one of those moods; plenty about but no ridiculous posing, let alone Kestrel impersonations this time.

At least 5 churring males present, probably 7, with a couple of low-flying females giving that lovely frog call. But no insanely lucky photos this year*, so here's a little atmosphere;

Lit by Moon and Venus

I do so love Nightjarring.


Closer in, here are a couple of pictures from Home;

Mr Fatpecker

Taking a drink
[Note pigeon defeat device**]

The full on display

::Takes deeeeeep breath::

Land Puffin

There are two pairs of Blackbirds foraging on my balcony, with the odd 'discussion' when they arrive together...

Also two pairs of Coal Tits, with one [exits right] markedly dominating the other [exits angled left]

'Left' Coal Tit,
showing wing-drooping submissive pose

Coal Tit in full focus!

Got to have a Blue Tit

Great Tits - often male and female together - and Robin also still regular, but able to evade the camera.

GSW a strict fat-muncher,
Blues combine aphid-hunting with fat plus peanuts, only sometimes going for the seed feeders,
Coals often working the Blue Spruce for aphids, sometimes taking some fat, then picking a choice sunflower seed to leave with,
Greats keener on taking mealworms from the Spruce, then onto the mix feeder, or sometimes a sunflower seed,
Greenfinches on the sunflowers, going to the mix if they can't get on - due to space or aggressive males,
Robin after worms and bits among planters and sometimes onto the mix feeder,
Blackbirds very into the heap for the worms, also general ground searching [I scatter all sorts about] plus sideways clinging onto the fat!


The pigeons - Wood and Feral - mostly seem to sit about making mess, with the odd bout of hoovering. Magpie and Crow raids are very circumspect; they can see very well through the glass and scarper if they think I'm there, so I'm not sure what they're after. The Crows in the past did an impressive job of undoing an old feeder, so who knows?



Be Seeing You...




[[*I will not use a flash on nocturnal species, btw, so a lot of variables have to align for anything to be picked up]]
[[**An inverted hanging basket, plus various recycled plastic bits, are needed to keep the pigeons, assorted, from fouling any offered water source...]]

No comments:

Post a Comment