03 December, 2018

Biiiirding In The Rain. Pt. 2, Fun At Yarner


Delays delays delays.. Well, it's also that time of year. Losing a whole day to my head didn't help either, but what can you do?
There won't be a post about this last weekend, as I've already covered all the birding I got to do.


So. Here, but a week later than it couldawouldashoulda been, is the second part of last week's Postage;



Having run into my Dad - out for a drag walk with the LBD - on my way to the Nose that morning, we decided to take an amble about Yarner on Sunday afternoon. I may have mentioned cake :)

We even found some birds!

And lots of fungi :D

Observe several [mostly] in focus pictures of sometimes even interesting spp.!! [Really]

Still Autumnal

Yarner, wood for all seasons

We found a few birds, some of which even posed a bit, but while 7+ Redpoll were present in a large group of assorted Birch-munchers, I managed to miss them all [I was shooting at random silhouettes, to be fair], but I did hit the odd Siskin;

Siskin

Star performers were the fungi, with an interesting variety, including some proper head-scratchers as well as the regulars.

Blackfoot Polypore

Birch Polypore

Artist's Bracket?*

Turkeytail?*

Lactarius uvidus
[and what's that..??]

Silky Piggyback

A mushroom parasite, you can even see the hungry mycelia munching the fallen milkcap!

Wood Pinkgill

Very pretty..

..Very pretty indeed.
Field Blewit

This growing on the edge of a grassy ride [covered by leaf litter], so not quite so odd to be 'in' a wood.

Wood Blewit
[Note differences from above]

Giant Club
[And it really was!]

What the...?!?!?

....?!?

Porous 'stem' reaching flush to a slightly shiny olive-tinged cap. After a fair bit of looking, I reckon I have an answer; Hypomyces hyalinus. This is another mushroom parasite, and 'grows on the stem and under the cap, sometimes turning the host fruiting body into a club shape'. Hosts are usually Amanitas, and that 'cap' does look quite like a well matured A. phalloides.. 

Not far away, were these;

Charcoal Burner

Young Charcoal Burner, 
plus probable A. phalloides
[veil just visible]

IDs somewhat tentative.


It's tough to be a tree at Yarner. If the fungi don't get you, the deer will!

Munch munch

Munch munch?
I did mention cake up there. We were a bit pre-occupied at the time, so no nicpic pic, but here's a shot of the leftovers, so you can appreciate what I mean ::Eeevil grin::

Barmbrack Mk II
[fruit soaked in tea and gin!]

Heh heh.

A good time was had by all, though a Certain Little Black Dog would have preferred a cake she was allowed more of!


Be Seeing You...



[[*I am beginning to suspect my Big White Mushroom Book is not quite as comprehensive as I first thought, at least, compared to a quick look at the Collins..??]]

No comments:

Post a Comment