19 October, 2020

Moor Fun. Part Two; Look Down, Look Up

 Following on from all my fun with the Ouzels up the Avon, I met up with the Folks for another amble about that fungal wood we'd been to only two weeks before.


Again an afternoon of gentle meandering with a coffee and rations break was the order of the day - this time said rations being gingernuts baked by yours truly - and we took a different route, not least due to the different wind direction.


But before that, while I waited at the rendezvous* ["Like you taught me, get there early"**], I did like it says on the tin. Looking up got me three Buzzards, a Raven, and a nice pinky Redpoll. Before even that, looking down saw me say a careful "Hi there" to this little gem;

Brown Rollrim

Lovely little fungus, sitting there by a car park. Easy to miss, probably just as well...


Much later, as we were leaving, I showed it to the Folks - with the immortal line "Would you like to see a deadly fungus?" - and after they'd duly noted it, Dad looked up and spotted something a little larger. Also more mobile.

Wowzer!!


This cracking hot air balloon went right overhead! :D

I'm sure there's a joke in that, somewhere...


In between the two, we encountered more birds - though nothing spectacular - and fewer fungi, but including some nice ones.

Yup, here we go again.

Fly Agarics!

If at first you don't succeed and all that. :D [Try going away from where the hordes go]

Ashen Knight


Violet Webcap

I can't ID this, 
it looks a bit like a few things, 
but always ruled out by crucial detail[s]

Russula farinipes

Ochre Brittlegill

R. luteotacta

Charcoal Burner

Black Milking Bonnet?

Leopard Earthball

Common Earthball


Aniseed Funnel

Grey Milkcap

Soapy Knight





Once we found a nice spot for rations, and the LBD was distracted by a chew [always useful to carry a few :) ], we had encounter of the day [non fungal], as a couple of Roe Deer - well spotted by Dad - made their way up past us. Her Horribleness was fortunately [for our ears, never mind the poor things' nerves] utterly clueless. 


All in all, another lovely amble. :D


Be Seeing You...


[[*I went there straight from Shipley. Well, I did when I could get out of the car park... ::sigh::]]
[[** Yes, The Wire. :) ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment