08 May, 2010

Local Birding for Local People

I'm typing this with my nose held up by tape....

Kidding. ;)

Weather seemed more like November than May, and following that line, I tried a wander around the backways of Cockington.

Nope, no twitching 'singing male yankee sparrow on a convenient weekend' number 2 for me... I dunno, yeah it seems a bit 'off', and I do have very real fiscal issues [this unemployed thing really isn't as much fun as it sounds], but normally an actual present yank passerine would get me scurrying [I've got to catch up with one sometime!]. I might go have a look tomorrow [though it doesn't seem promising - no access to this garden, and a possibly very large crowd hanging about in the road waiting for a glimpse?] IF its still there, of course! Maybe the cumulative effect of all this dipping is getting to me?

Anyways. There are a surprising number of paths around the fields, copses and orchards of the Cockington area [between Torquay and Marldon]. It's a place I've been going to since I was old enough to walk, and over the years parts have changed quite a bit [and parts are just the same - the juxtaposition can be a little unnerving]. The village - thatched cottages and blacksmiths and horse-drawn cart rides and all - and the hall [with ever-expanding 'arty bit' out the back] are the the bits most people see, but the network of foot and riding paths cross an area that extends as far as Occombe Farm. If you want to go that far. [[People keep telling me about Occombe Farm and this hide that's there....]]

Its classic rolling farmland, proper Devonshire Red soil too, with a wealth of plants [[I'm not a botanist - "pretty flowers in many colours" is all you're getting!]]. They've been working on a lot of the hedges, and I think in a year or two it could be very promising indeed. Pity they can't be bothered to tend the borders in the gardens, or the frickin' apple trees! Some of them are vanishing under brambles - trees, buried under brambles because our beloved TCCT would rather pay 'artists' than actually look after the landscape...

On a rather dreary, windy and showery day, there were still some nice birds - ok, an interesting assortment of partially albinistic Carrion Crows might not seem that good, but I thought a 'White-winged Black Crow' was amusing.... On a slightly more serious note, I got my best view of a Garden Warbler so far this year [[is it me, or has it been a particularly good year for them?]]. Skylark was another nice bird to see [in song flight :) ], as was the odd Swallow and a Jay sat on a 'No Parking' sign :D Cockington's a nice place for a stroll, and there are some great views to be had at both short and long range. Not thrilling, and very little chance of a rarity [[I'm waiting for That Stork to show up there now! ;) ]] but if you can avoid the grockles and the mud, its an interesting diversion.

No comments:

Post a Comment