03 June, 2010

Sitting around in the sunshine


Today I presciently made sure I was far far away from any chance of hearing about little grey birds in wales...

Continuing my theme of vagueness... I went to a Tor that shall remain Nameless, where I had a very long lunch hearing but failing to see birds that shall remain unidentified. A very nice chap I met, who definitely should remain anonymous, found what he was looking for, though it took a while. I then went for a wander, fell on my arse in a manner that would likely have given anyone watching an embolism, and was just about to go home with a 'heard only', when bingo! Took more than 4 hours on site, but very worth it in the end - I even got flown over.

I also saw 3 flavours of falcon, one quite cripplingly well - I'd lugged the Big Scope up [my shoulder is still regretting that one] and managed to get on said falcon with said scope. At the ranges and aspects involved, I was getting Simon King - level views. Chuffed would be an understatement. :D Another 3 was Odonata - all Damselflies; Beautiful Demoiselle and White-legged skulking out of the wind in a lane, and Small Red skulking out of the wind up on t'Moor proper. A male Demoiselle posed for me and showed off why he deserved the 'Beautiful' prefix. Dragonflies are something I'm looking forward to getting more into this summer - now I have bins that have an actual close focus [my old ones, though I love them dearly, get to about 18'.....] and a good book [to show me how hard its going to be with most of the damselflies...].

It was an interesting day - blazing hot sunshine of August and blasting winds of January. I admit to cursing not going to Prawle as I yomped up to the tor, leaning into the wind as I was.. but it worked out quite nicely, so next time I'm going to be more relaxed and accepting about such things.

Ok, I'm going to try to be more relaxed!

Right, time to stop being all irritating and get to bed - its Course time tomorrow [nope, no Marmora's twitching for this little black duck... :( ]

P.S. I'm also going to try to be more interesting and less annoyingly vague in the future. [[You never know, might even happen..]]

No comments:

Post a Comment