11 November, 2010

A Day of Surprises


Yet another post?!?!? What's wrong with this guy???

Last night I looked at the forecast and went "Aaaarrghhh..."; American Robin at Turf and a huuuuge weather system coming in, and I'd be at work for the daylight hours...

I was Good. I did not skive off or call in sick or pretend a tree had fallen on my car. Sometimes you are rewarded for Being Good. Sometimes.

That the Goddess of Birding was Smiling upon me became evident when I arrived at work and disturbed a female/imm Blackstart from pretty much under my feet. It zipped over to another car and looked at me slightly reproachfully, as if to say "Hey, you think the weather's rough on you? Try being my size - it's all I can do to hold on!"
It wasn't too put out, though, as it put in another appearance at lunchtime - albeit only to land nearby, look at us just long enough for me to get my bins half up, then fly right past us and away.

But I'm getting ahead of the Main Event. Rewind back to the early morning...

Before we start work, we find it helpful to have a cuppa [vital aid to skilled manufacturing, I assure you]. This is had outside, to enjoy the view and let those of us who need to smoke. Huddled against the wind and sideways rain, we puff and slurp, talk about this and that, and keep an eye out for anything interesting. Not long before work was due to start [we're in for 8-00 sharp] a flock of birds flew over, heading SW. "Those're funny-looking Starlings.." Says I. [My co-workers are getting used to this kind of thing] So funny I get up and venture into what was fortunately only light rain to get a better look at them. 10 very chunky-fronted Starling-sized birds. They're not Redwing either, but they're going away from me by now and my work bins aren't up to colour from silhouetted birds like these.. Then one of them calls; "Sriiiiii!"

At times like this, most birders would be straight on the phone. I, however, suffer an attack of self-doubt and have to wait until I get home and can listen to the recordings.. They might still be around Totnes. [[They might have been blown halfway back to Norway by now....]] I will be looking [in the 10 minutes or so of light I get either side of work] tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment