03 January, 2011

Waxwings on My Patch! Again!


It was a very odd kind of day today. Continuing with my diligent Patch-bashing, I tracked down the Goldfinches I'd seen in December, failed as usual to see Waxwings tucking into the tasty berries I'd earmarked, and was about to have a look at the sea when I got a shout [literally] from [Famous Devon Birder], who asked me if I'd seen the Waxwings at Homelands.

Sometimes a very long pause can pass by in a very short time.

After offering the due profuse thanks, I responsibly carried on and checked the sea diligently before walking over to have a look. No, really, I did. Ok, that might be a teeny bit inaccurate. I did go on to the first viewpoint and scan the sea. There was bugger all about. I took the time to go 'WTF..' to myself. After three slightly amazed sweeps I got 2 divers; a Red-throat and what looked like a Black-throat. No grebes. For some strange reason I decided against yomping down the cliff to pin the possible BT down. Instead I walked over to look for the Waxwings. I didn't run. I did walk quickly, mind.

There were no Waxwings in any of the trees on Westhill Road, nor St. Margaret's Avenue. This was because they were sitting on the fence by the school playing field! Three little Waxwings all in a row... :D My parents have never seen Waxwings, so after a quick call and a trip to grab my Big Scope, the four of us arrived back on site less than half an hour later. No Waxwings. They waited a lot longer than I expected [[especially with Tilly, who though she stands very nicely, doesn't approve of standing around when she can be charging around..]], but nope, the garrulous ones had buggered off. Rats.

Later I went back and had another look, but still no sign. I tried the other site, but nothing there either, then back to the Downs, and now there were 22 GC Grebe, 2 RT Divers [neither of which looked remotely like a BT] and a Razorbill - all well out. Hmm. On getting home from this trip, I discovered a 1w Rook, of all things, perched on my neighbour's chimney and making an awful attempt at cawing. It flew off over the Garden, and is the first one we've had here for several years. All in all, a very interesting day, notable also for the first sunshine we've had in aaaaaages.

PYL: 43

No comments:

Post a Comment