03 May, 2011

Notification of Variance


There's going to be a bit of a change to my blog from now on, I'm afraid. Fewer posts, much less Patch-bashing - generally less interesting...

Yep, that's right, I got me a job!!!!

:D

Today was my first day and as it's more factory-based fun [again, no names given as I'd like to keep it now that I've got it! ;) ] my birding time has been curtailed drastically. Oh well. [[This is the explanation of why I've suddenly been gallivanting off-Patch much more frequently of late - yes, it all becomes clear now..]] I didn't say anything before because, after 5 months on the scrap heap, I didn't quite believe it and wanted to actually turn up to make sure it wasn't all a dream...

Don't look like that, you all know how crazy I am already...
;)

Yesterday, though, was a last bit of wandering. This time - in the face of contradictory and unpromising weather forecasts - with the Folks to Somewhere New. ::Gasp!:: Wimbleball 'Lake', over in zumerzet, was the setting for an afternoon's circuit, and after a rather unpromising start, it was pretty good. The Bluebells in particular were utterly stunning. Ridiculously thick carpets under Oak and Birch, they were worth the trip alone. Willow Tit, Wood Warbler, Cuckoo and a well 'ard Gyppo [it saw off 6 Canada Geese with two hisses and a stare, and was utterly unafraid of Tilly. That is one tough goose.] were the birding highlights on site, with 3 Goosander on the Exe and a Turtle Dove on a wire on the way back as a bonus! :)

Common Sands were dotted around the edge of the lake, [at least 5, probably 8 or more] mostly seeing us first and demonstrating their characteristic flight action. I heard what sounded very much like a Wood Sand, but it only called once and was on a stretch of shore hidden by trees [unsurprisingly!] so it got away. We caught a couple of showers, and met some loggers [yes, logging on a bank holiday on the frickin' perimeter path...] in the course of walking the 9 mile 'lakeside walk' in the afternoon, which certainly gave us some exercise. Wimbleball is in many ways a miniature Roadford [with fewer birds on the water - especially with the sailers and fishermen out], but the woods beside the water and the birds therein easily make up for it.

EDIT: 'Fewer posts and less of the Patch'.. Well, some stop-press Patch news from this evening; Swifts!! More or less in the middle of their usual spread of arrival dates [after last year's early surprise]. You know it's summer when the Swifts are back. :)


PYL: 116

No comments:

Post a Comment