16 September, 2012

Weekend Birding. Again.


Ah, the Joys of the day shift...

Highlight of my working week was 18 Swallows past south on Wednesday lunchtime.

So... Saturday I decided to do something. But what to do on not entirely inspiring weather and nothing in reach worthy of a filthy twitch? Hmmm... Second week of September? Prawle, I think.

Plenty of migrants knocking about the bushes by and below the car park, including a very smart Spot Fly, but nothing fancier that I could find. I have little doubt the Wobbler there today was lurking there somewhere. Git.

I then headed up to the Point, found myself somewhere comfy to sit and stared at the sea for a while. In this case, 'a while' was about 5 1/2 hours. What wonderous passage was there to trigger this stay? Well, 140 Gannets. 64 of which passed between 2-00 and 3-00. There were some yachts, some with truly...er.. unique names; 'Ryan's Daughter' isn't that bad, I suppose, but 'Multiplex'. Seriously??? Also the aircraft helicopter carrier, one of those big grave-robbing treasure-hunting ships, and the police boat 'Excalibur'.

I had been hoping for a bit of quiet, what with that cycle nonsense going on, and maybe some cetaceans, but a distant large dolphin sp. breaching once was all I got. Most likely a Bottlenose. Nope, not even one Sunfish, let alone a Basker. Drat. Still, it was nice and peaceful, and a gorgeous Wheatear dropped in to say hello. :) Swallows with a few House Martins were passing west steadily, a couple of Small Coppers and a Migrant Hawker were on the wing.. Odds and ends, really.

It wasn't until I was going that something fun happened, with a field of coobeasties that had been pretty empty on the way out suddenly sprouting Yellow Wagtails, at least 26 of them! They just kept coming and coming out of the long grass, it was amazing...

Today's fun will have to wait, as I've got to get up in the bloody morning.. Tut.



No comments:

Post a Comment