02 January, 2015

The First Two Days


New Year, new cliches.


[They will be coming, we are currently experiencing minor technical difficulties]


I started the year with a seawatch at the Nose [oh, shock, horror...]. This was rather brief, as aside from a nice YLG, it was pretty dull, despite the very nice wind. As I had things in mind, I gave up and headed to the Warren - traditional spot for lots of birds in one day. This may not have been a great call, as as I did so, several RTDs, a GND and a Pom were heading the other way.. Drat.

But I wanted to see if I could get to 100 species in one day, so what can you do?


Hopes of the Bony's were fulfilled in some style, with the bird showing very well from the hide, as did the Water Pipit [speaking of, I suspect there may be more than one, maybe even three of the little buggers..] Withstanding the Four Stooges'* 'humour', I stayed at the Warren until I finally pinned down the LTD, then headed to Bowling Green and Dart's Farm, where the day ended dipping the Pendulines. In between [nothing after dark - still far too windy] I ended up with 93. This is a new personal best [ok, by 1 bird!], but still a fail. Though, given the weather, I think it was pretty creditable!


Today I had things to do, but after that I managed to get the DYL over 100 - to 104, in fact - and again dip the Pendulines!  Hmm. I did see a Water Rail [and not at Bowling Green, either] though, which.. no it doesn't make up for it. The Kingfisher, on the other hand...  :D

Not bad..



Oh yeah, and a Top Ten of 2014 is coming, too.




Consider yourselves warned...


[[*They were from zumerzet, which does explain things. ;) ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment