08 January, 2015

The Quirks of Yearlisting


Such as seeing Water Pipit before Meadow, and not just 'a few minutes before', try a whole day and a half before..

I still might [if those little gits behave] get Penduline before Marsh Tit, too.


In other news, the Ally produced the hoped-for Treecreeper yesterday on the [only slightly circuitous] bread run to Scarychurch. I like to walk to get my bread - there's a very good bakery over there, so I buy in batches and freeze it - stuffing a rucksack with loaves, much to the ladies' amusement. The trip there and especially back is always a chance to see what's about - Blackstart and Firecrest being past highlights. Nothing like those rarified heights of scarceness this time, but possibly two Treecreepers [one each way] were definitely worth the happy grin I sported as I got back.


Sometimes, though, you see things you're less happy about - such as this example of the council's standard reaction to any 'complaints of antisocial behaviour';

At Tessier



First and only response: deny/destroy/demolish

Other examples include giving away selling our land, kowtowing to their masters developers* every whim, walling-off coastal paths, and trees felled for one branch's worth of squirrel damage..

Councillors, what can you do? No matter what, they still keep getting elected...


Sorry about that, folks.




Right then.. Today I got back to more important matters, such as seawatching! Alas the weather cleared up rapidly, so I didn't get long at the Nose, and while 98+ BHGs was a good number on such slick as remained, there wasn't anything sexy with them...


There was one bird of definite note among the seemingly standard light movements of Gannets, Kitts, auks and the odd Fulmar.... A Red-necked Grebe!! Presumably the same individual went past Berry Head about 20 minutes later - not bad pace.


After muttering at the nice squall that showed up just after I'd left, I went over to Decoy to see if the Scaup felt showy. It eventually obliged - coming out from under the branches to look pretty in the sunshine.



Then it was up onto t'Moor! Vitifer was very soggy and also very deserted! I saw one cyclist the whole time I was there [and about Sousson's]. This meant I had the Great Grey Shrike all to myself, once I'd found it, that is!
From 1357 to 1441 it sat on a variety of trees [mostly snapped ones] in the new clearfell by Golden Dagger, looking very raptor-y as it held itself in the rather stiff breeze. Shrikes rawk!


They're Grrrrreat!


On the way up I'd seen 5 different sizeable bands of Chaffinches, but only one had a Brambling with them. [One's enough, though ;) ]


After a mooch about Sousson's, I headed home via Venford, hoping for roosting Goosander.. only saw 18 of them!! The light was abysmal - I was counting silhouettes - so only 3 confirmed males [as they flew in!]. Still, its a good score all the same.


The Yearlist is now well into March, folks  :)





[[*I've always disliked that term. It implies that what they do is inherently an improvement.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment