27 May, 2015

So I Went For A Stroll..


Up on t' Moor. Been a while, weather seemed ok, needed a bit of exercise.. usual stuff.


It being a bank holiday, the place was a bit busy. Just a teensy bit.


Even Wild Tor, [which is against the Rules, btw] and it only started to quieten down after four or so.


But hey, what can you do? [Keep moving and stay out longer]



Ok, enough of that.

I parked at Round Pound and wandered over to Watern Tor via Shovel Down. The pole bridge over the Teign has been fixed up and is a lot less hairy than it used to be [even got non slip paint on it - spoilsports! ;) ]. The yomp up the hill next to the wall is just as nasty as the last time I went up it, though... [ouch]

After a quick cuppa at the tor, I headed over to Wild Tor for lunch. I really like Wild Tor. [I may have said so before once or twice??] The outcrops may not be particularly impressive, it's not sat brooding atop its own mighty hill, there may be far too much rush and bog, and it is definitely always a bugger to get to.
That last one is one of the points, though. Wild Tor is wild; you have to make an effort to go there, you have to climb at least one nasty hill, cross bog and water, and be exposed to the weather's wrath. No choice. No easy way out. No great big track up the back way [Yes Tor, I'm looking at you].

This time I wasn't the only one there [to be fair, this does happen occasionally]. I know, I know, I'm an antisocial git...


When it was time to move on, I headed up Hangingstone Hill, then cut across above Walla Head to Manga Hill, Teignhead Farm, and into Fernworthy. After a final coffee stop in the plantation's shelter - enlivened by my first tick of the year* [joy] - I headed back to Kestor via the Three Boys standing stone.


About 17km in all and I can feel it. This is good.


Time for some scenery, with photos that are actually [vaguely]  useable;



Watern Tor from Wild Tor


Time for your close up, madam




High Wilhays and Yes Tor from Hangingstone Hill


Getting to birds, four Cuckoos were vocal; one of them, by Fernworthy corner, even gave me a flypast, showing off the brown secondaries of a 1s. In Fernworthy, the wind kept the birds a bit subdued, but Redstart and Tripit [plus lots of Siskin] were present. Out on the Moor proper, the Mipits and Skylarks were around in numbers, and the various stoney places I passed held at least 15 Wheatears :)

There were a few hirundines knocking about - House Martins and Swallows - though whether these were passing through or wide-ranging local nesters I couldn't tell. No passing Red Kites, though.




Now for some nonsense [you may want to skip this bit]


While I was sat at Wild Tor, this young lady came by for a late lunch;

Blob Bird sp.
Heading west, ~150m south of the Tor

Given the buffeting wind and the glare that meant I couldn't see what I was aiming at, I'm amazed I even got one in shot [just]. 


What is it with Wild Tor and raptors? 



Anyways, this is me saying that I give up; I have got to get me a 'record shot' camera. If such a thing exists that can give a decent - you can tell what it is without needing to be told! - image at that sort of [ie. real life] range without weighing a ton and costing a fortune...** 





Back at home, a juvenile Greenfinch on the sunflower feeder! :D




Finally, I have to give a shout out to the Three Amigos on Hangingstone Hill.  ;)





30th of September, btw.

[[*I'm still itchy...]]
[[**Answers on a postcard..]]

No comments:

Post a Comment