18 September, 2015

Short But No Swifts


Please excuse the even worse than usual pun, but I am fresh off a night shift..


To be very brief, I gave up on the Nose this morning due to it absolutely pissing down. No point pass-bashing if they're cowering under the biggest thing they can find, after all.


So I went to do what I'd meant to last weekend and tarted down to Slapton to look for punks in disguise.


Tried Ireland Bay first [because I've played that game before] then toddled down to Stokeley [a sit down and a roof seemed an even better idea than usual] where I rapidly found the 2 eclipse male Red-crested Pochards hanging around off Scaup Point with about a hundred Coot and 60-odd Tufties, plus 2 regular Pochard and assorted swans and GC Grebes.


See?

Spot the RCPs


Ta-da!
[How's about that? A real record shot!]



Yeah, they were a fair way off.


Also of note was a lovely showy Kingfisher [though not that showy, alas] and a party of 5 pale-bellied Brents, who dropped in for a quick wash on their way south;



Observe the sharp covert fringes 
[sort-of] visible on the leftmost bird


A fair few hirundines present, but no Swifts. Lots of dragonflies, too and a Clouded Yellow, plus three LBBs among the gulls which looked interesting for intermedius.



Now if only I could find my x-ray specs and be able to get that wobbler... ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment