13 April, 2017

Looking For A Rock Thrush


With that little cracker popping up on Scilly, I just had to, didn't I?


Ok, would have been along to the Nose anyway, with the weather and a need to look for Whitethroats, but still..



Of course there were no blue and orange things. Or any Subalpine Warblers, despite them turning up at other points southerly.


I wasn't in the least surprised.



I did at least get some nice yearticks; a lovely Sarnie was fishing in Hope Cove and best of all a Whitethroat had a quick sing in the remains of the South Side. :)


Bailey Jr. had been by in the AM and had no less than 10 Wheatears. I was jealous, I admit it.
I could only find 8, and here are a few shots of some of them;

Mrs. Wheatear

Wheatear

Wheatear

Higher Wheatear

"That's 'Mr. Wheatear' to you"


Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs were plentiful, with not only singing birds, but groups of migrants moving through and hoovering up insects with impressive determination. Also among them were two lovely Willow Warblers, which showed to crazy close range - I was so caught up I forgot to even try to photo them.. [oops]

One of the singers was in a particularly effusive and un-Blackcap-like subsong. I was intrigued by this weird song coming from thick cover, and spent far too much time stalking and waiting on the off chance it was something good [or at least 'not another BLEEPing weird Blackcap']. As if to make up for wasting my time, the naughty boy did at least strike a pose for me;

I can't believe I got him

Offshore, I could only find 4 scoter between the two Buoy Farms. Closer in, I could as usual find no interesting gulls [not that this ever stops me], the Oyks were still present and noisy, and the Fulmars were present and not noisy!


In other news, last night I saw my first bat of the year out of the window, silhouetted nicely against the remains of the day[light]. What species? Very good question.

I am finally delighted to report that my trees seem to have survived the Great Re-Potting, as they are both now showing new growth. I had to wait a bit on the Blue Spruce, as ever, while the Hawthorn has put on more than a fingerlength of growth already...



Be Seeing You..


No comments:

Post a Comment