05 April, 2017

Off For A Toddle


A vaguely accurate guess forecast had me taking a wander about the Moor on Sunday. I covered a fair bit of ground and met a fair few Wheatears, so it was time well spent. On the down side, I could still feel my poor legs the day after. Not in the 'oh good, they're still attached' way; in the 'ahh, my poor achy legses, why did I abuse thee so?'. [Oh dear, getting old...] Yes, I did do 15 miles over rather up and down terrain, plus nice soggy bogs, but still.


Anyways, with the blue skies and fluffy little clouds, the camera got a work out, and so now will your eyes;

Glorious Devon
 There are Wheatears in this picture, though you'll be doing very well to see them! As promised, bluest skies and fluffiest clouds.


I'm going thattaway

Yes, this is a path. Just a little more attention required, is all. Also, you may notice the highest of hills in the far distance? Yup, went there. Via the ones on the left. :)



Quoth the Ravens: "Got any sarnies?"

The highest of hills from one of the ones on the left. Still more detour to go, though. And lunch. Don't forget lunch!


Doing its best to loom

Lunch at the bestest of Tors. Oh yes. :D


I didn't actually go there, 
but you've got to include a piccy of it!

Not from that High Hill - for reasons varied I didn't take a single pic up there - but from on the way to my next objective.

Whirligig Beetle!
But where was I??

The tide was in, and while a frog sp. was quick to hide from my attentions, this li'l spinner decided to pose.

Time for a long jump in space and time.


Looking back

It clouded up a bit late on, as I finished coffee and Efficient Dunking Biccie on this here tor. This was actually quite handy, as it let me get all arty for my final stop;

The Ancestors could really pick a spot

[Though it does help to approach from the correct direction to get the effect.. :) ]



Ah, but I mentioned Wheatears, didn't I? I got into double figures and great they all were, too. But I won't unleash every pic I took. Not every pic..

Party time!


See, more than one!


You lookin' at me?



Wild Wheatear



"That was my favourite Gorse bush..."

Ok, enough.


Less good was the lack of the hoped-for [ideally low-flying] migrants and wanderers. I saw exactly one House Martin [also my first for the year - what's going on??] and no Swallows, let alone a lovely wandering Red Kite.. :(  A Wheatear did fly past me in a determined manner, well away from any rocks, so I reckon that one was migrating [I want to believe!] and an alba Wagtail was a flyover and surely not local to the High Moor.


Since that happy yompy day I have seen exactly no hirundines, though a soaring male Sprawk at work - which a Crow got up to and then decided wasn't worth bothering (!) - was a welcome sight.


Be Seeing You..



No comments:

Post a Comment