29 October, 2010

An Advocation of the Application of Steelies to Posteriors


Being Good and all that nonsense [or rather, having to get up far too early for work...] I missed the breaking news yesterday evening and so came to it fresh this evening. Thus the delayed blog posting and what would have been something brief about a happy ending to a long week of bugger all has this tacked on the front...

"If you see someone acting inappropriately at a twitch, or any other time, then do something about it!"

Ahem.

So, this week at work there's been very little verging on bugger all. Some rowers from up country have been messing about, which didn't help, but I can't blame them entirely. Until today I would have said that the highlight bird-wise was 7 whole Cormorants [including 2 slight ones which may have been the sinenses, but due to dodgy flight views are unascribable] flying upriver early morning. Today there were 2 Little Grebes on the river at lunch time - they came quite close and were very cute. :)

The weather today didn't deliver what all the assorted forecasters promised last night and if I hadn't had such a pig of a day that I needed the de-stressing, I most likely wouldn't have bothered to go to Berry Head for a post-work seawatch. I'm quite glad I did.
I arrived to find birders still present and that I'd missed a Glaucous Gull and a SEO, plus lots of Poms. I'd been fully expecting to find no birders and see little more than the odd Gannet, so this was hopeful. Birders leaving [or at least trying to ;) ] was less hopeful, but just looking at the sea is therapeutic. No, really it is. Honest. I'm not mad.

There were a few Gannets, Kittiwakes, and assorted gulls feeding in what was more an excitement than a frenzy, well offshore, and this group also included 2 Balearics. Eventually some skuas showed up to cause trouble - most notably a very nice juvenile Pom, which gave the poor Kitts plenty of grief. When the light gave out I'd seen 3 Bonxies and 2 Poms, plus 2 whole auks [Wow!] also a glorious view of a super-confiding female Kestrel with sunset background and a daringly early [especially with Kestrels around] Greater Horseshoe Bat - close enough and in enough light to ID for sure :D

Now then.. What to do tomorrow????

No comments:

Post a Comment