20 November, 2013

Grey Clarity


Communication.. Both vital and vexing, isn't it?

Type in particular. It is so easy to misinterpret the intentions of the written word; the lack of inflection in the black and white is especially frustrating. Meanings can be missed, subtleties lost, humour mistaken, offence caused... You would think someone could have come up with something better by now, we've only had millennia, after all?

To make things worse, life is not black and white, but many varied shades of grey.

Ah, if only things were simple..



Yes, we're still on the thrush business, folks. Those of you outside Devon tune out now, there may be something interesting for you in my next post... [['May' being the operative word]]


How to put this? I've written and deleted this one far more than usual. And that is more than you are likely to believe; this blog is hard work to get legible at the best of times*


This is what I believe;
Whether or not the landowner knows or cares about it, going to see a suppressed bird is bad form.



If it happened.


Clarity of communication again; all we have is a few bits of info and some hearsay. And the usual grey area.

Shall I go on or just say 'Read NQS again'?

Let's reiterate;
I have no problem with suppression - sometimes it's necessary. In an ideal world, news wouldn't need to be held back; "Bird on site with no access, news will be issued if it moves to somewhere viewable". But this isn't an ideal world. So a decision was made which, judging by the posts on ThatForumAboutBirds, has indeed proved a valuable addition to the debate on another complicated issue.

Josh [I'll name you as you feel strongly enough to comment], I have no problem with you or your actions and have never intended you hurt - if this has happened I apologise. The same is true for The Artist.
The Finder had every right to do as he did - his house, his rules - and while I wouldn't do that myself, it was his decision and I respect that. The Twitchers - if they actually exist - are in the same boat; I wouldn't do it myself, but it was their choice.



Following Gav like the little sheep I am, I too now draw a line under this. [If you would like to comment to me, feel free, but it won't be published.]







[[*Stop laughing or you'll get an unedited one that'll make Joyce look clear .. ;) ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment