26 July, 2014

Another Post - What Madness Is This?


Today wasn't going to be very birdy and certainly not posty at all, but I'm all happy so here I be, sharing the joy.  :D


Too much heat again, especially when the sun got properly going in the afternoon, so I didn't wander out until the evening. I've been toddling over to the Nose fairly frequently, hoping for passing parties of shearwaters or terns - warm summer evenings can give some lovely views - though as yet I've had no luck.


Today was no different in that regard, but there was some passage - dolphins!! A pod of 21 Bottlenose came north, and with the dead calm they were very easy to watch. A passing catamaran noticed them too and heeled 'round to follow them. The dolphins were clearly unfussed by this - despite having a calf with them - as they slowed down and messed about by the yacht for a bit, to the evident delight of the passengers. I stayed watching them until the light faded and they were pretty much out of sight.


Before the dolphins showed up, I saw - finally - my first juv Yellow-legged Gull of the year. This was a real monster, total classic, which was nice. There was a second bird, which could have been a YLG too, but it remained resolutely sat on the Lead Stone without so much as a stretch, and as I didn't have the Big Scope with me, stayed a 'possible'.



Then, not far from home, I saw my first Brown Rat of the year! Not a 5kg one, fortunately, but it was a pretty cool customer, sitting up to look at me as I passed by;
"Evening, Ratty"
"Squeak*"



Finally.. I am pleased to report that my feeders have been found, with something having had a peck at the buggy nibbles. No spilt sunflower seeds, but of course they're likely to be carried off. I've yet to catch anything in the act. I suspect the LTTs, though...
:)





[[*Translated: "Don't call me 'ratty', you semi-evolved monkey"]]

No comments:

Post a Comment