01 April, 2017

Flyover Archaeopteryx!!!


First the Coelacanth, and now this survival! It was shocking indeed to be alerted by the outraged yarking of the local Herrings, look up and gasp in awe and wonder.




[[I was going to go with a singing Spectacled Warbler, but this is the internet, after all...]]

;D



Sunshine and a lot of not getting rained on this morning at the Nose - one time when the weather guess* being wrong was welcome - also included a few nice birds!

Glorious weather



Shock, horror, and so on.


Still a total lack of hirundines past Patch, but a few migrants were found, the odd one even posed.. [Oh yes, it's coming...]

Best being another of those now seemingly annual sub-singing bush-hiding Sedge Warblers - at the top of the Top Dell - plus a Willow Warbler and a nice Willow-ish Chiff. Plenty of more helpful Chiffs, and Blackcaps in song - as were Stonechats, Rockits and Bullfinches to name but three.

Off to the south, a vast cloud of scoter were flushed by a cabin cruiser from near the Buoy Farm; about 410, which were an impressive sight! :) To the east, at least 350 auks [I say auks, though the only ones I could ID safely were Guillemots] were on the Ore Stone. Dodging the assorted anglers around the quarry were these lovelies;

One


Two


Three!


Wheatears.. :D


Now for something awful.. Photographically speaking, anyway. You see, the first Speckled Woods of the year were about and a couple were having a full-on dogfight above the path in front of me. I tried my best, my camera sort of got the idea, and well.. Here's what I got;

Butter-Fu


Those butterflies are dotty...


Right, after that madness, time for more madness...!! Mua-ha-ha...

Name that tanker!!

I just couldn't quite read it, even with better optics than are in my camera. Any ideas? Wild mass guessing?
[The real madness being my thing for noting the names of ships and even passing yachts - though the puns can make me want to gouge out my eyes sometimes...]

And finally, yes what else but rocks.. Heh heh heh..


Black Head, Longquarry Point,
Petitor Cove and coast beyond**

I've nattered on about this lot before, so I'll spare you this time.



Be Seeing You..




The Archaeopteryx was mobbed by gulls and drifted off south over the Bay, by the way.. o:)


[[*Because I've had enough of resisting typing "forecast, my @*$£..."]]
[[**The fault at Petitor Cove - you can see the flatter slope where the shatter zone is - is the base of the south coast section which includes the famous Jurassic coast]]

No comments:

Post a Comment