19 April, 2011

Choughed.


I know, I know, I'm sorry - I just couldn't resist...

Today I went down to Marazion to see about the Purple Heron thereabouts. Yet another tarty gap on my list - I dipped one in zumerzet and also was at Exminster when one flew north over Dawlish Warren and vanished into thin air... So, it was with no small amount of satisfaction that after much standing around in the hot sunshine, it decided to fly when I was looking the right way. :D Then, just to be sure, it did it again, cruising down the length of the marsh and dropping behind the railway line with an air of "Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks!"

A very pleasant situation compared to the Great Savi's Farce of last year [not to mention the Horrible Affair of the Invisible Citrine Wagtail] - what to do? The Monty's was a big obvious choice, but with a lot of people out and very limited parking at the site, it seemed a bit like asking for grief. I'd just seen a Bonaparte's Gull, plus it was apparently a bit elusive, so I decided to Go West. I'd toyed with Treen, but seeing how many grockles were turning off that way, I decided to be a proper birder and go find my own stuff!

I settled myself down out of the wind at [A cornish headland*] and had a long seawatchy lunch. Joy. The blazing sun was a bit of a pain, washing out the odds and ends passing by, but it did nothing to prevent the stars of the show from shining; Choughs!!! They came, they tumbled, they gave a Raven what-for*. I was a very happy birder indeed.

On the sea, a few passing Gannets and auks were joined by small parties of Manxies and 2 each of Balearic Shear, Puffin and Kittiwake plus a Whimbrel. 45 Gannets in 2.5 hours tells it pretty well, really! Dribs and drabs, with the odd bit of quality to keep you looking. The forecast had mentioned the chance of fog [which did influence my thinking], but it never materialised. What did materialise was a pair of fins - the dorsal and tail of a Basker! Wowzer! Had me doubting my eyes as I thought they didn't show up until May, but I've done some checking and apparently they've been getting earlier and earlier - indeed the first one this year was reported last month. Nope, no such thing as global warming....

[[*They being Schedule 1. Ok, probably not there {wherever it is}, but better safe than sorry.]]

Turning back the clock, yesterday, an appointment at the crack of dawn had me dragging up for reasons other than birds [Tut], the day was spent bashing Patch to little avail. There are some pretty orchids at [Somewhere on my Patch] and a Goldfinch sang. Sunday was a sunny wander up the Wilhay with the Folks. First Cuckoo of the year called briefly near the south end of Meldon Reservoir. I also saw some very nice Wollastonite. :) No Redstarts, but plenty of Willow Warblers and a smart Wheatear [and Her Majesty's Finest making rafts out of barrels and things...].

If all this 'ot weather keeps going, I'll have to start chasing odonata soon.. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment