04 April, 2011

About That Mantra...


As I kept repeating to myself; "Red-flanked Bluetail, it's just a bird."



But what a bird!!!!!

:D

Guess where I went today?

Clear skies last night had me despairing. I didn't drag up at an obscene hour but instead tried for some sleep, then spent a merry hour hitting Refresh on [Famous Birding Related Website]. Not the most proper thing to do, I know, but money is an issue and I rationalised that once the 'No Sign of..' came out I could do my best to take it philosophically and then bash my Patch for a tasty migrant or none.*

[[*This is my Patch we're talking about, not the Backwater! ;) ]]

First up, Short-toed Lark and Hoopoe at Fraggle Rock still. A tarty bird to not have seen, I know... Worth going all that way for when another might pop up in Devon? Hmmm. Red-rumped Swallow on a wire at Wareham. Great bird, even better at flying off.. Then the Bluetail came on. Oh joy of joys it stuck! I gave heartfelt thanks to the Divine and did a Roadrunner.

Several trials and tribulations ensued, but I'm far too happy to go on about them, so I'll just say that that bird is utterly gorgeous, looked ridiculously pretty in the blazing sunshine, and was worth every penny of the extortionate parking charges.. [Oh. Said I wasn't going to moan, didn't I? Oops.] It showed very well, very close, in between long bouts of being elusive. You've seen the pics? Don't do the bird justice. I got the Big Scope on it at 75x. Oh ye Gods and Little Fishes. What a Lifer. I sank to my knees and gave thanks to the heavens for the grace I'd been given [There were witnesses. I have no shame.].

After a couple of merry hours, it was mid afternoon and what to do? I ought to get going to beat the rush hour. Orrr I could take the scenic route via Portland and have a go at that Lark. Can you guess?
The sun shone and the wind blew at Fraggle Rock, too, and the S-T was feeling elusive as well. This time in a ploughed field with long grass, a fringe of Rape, and a good 60 Linnet plus a half dozen Skylarks as cover. It took an hour to find it, but the Lark proved to be a little cracker too! It doesn't look much in The Black Book, but in the feather it was a beautiful little bird - scapulars in particular were exquisite. The Hoopoe proved too elusive, but I didn't really mind.

What a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment