24 June, 2012

The Last Day


Started with me once again waking up early, looking out the window, and going "Ah, fuck it.."

I really ought to learn.

True, I do have work to go back to, and early starts are not conducive to staying awake all night [and thus not getting sacked]. Also true, it did not look good weather wise. Again true the forecast said-oh never mind what the forecast said.

I got up again, later on, I thought "Oh what the hell" and rolled down to the Nose for a couple of hours just in case the rain had brought Stormies. It hadn't, but I got a Puffin, a Balearic, 43 C. Scoters and 311 Manxies. Gannet total? 38. Interesting...

The light was interesting, too. I gave the Ore Stone a good going over, with 419 Guillemots lurking on it and a very pleasing 4 pairs of Razorbills!

An afternoon stroll with the Folks along a sunny but windy Bolt - a very bipolar experience, with what felt like a 10° shift from in the wind to out of it - gave what you'd expect from there at this time of year and showing very nicely, too. We met a herd of cattle with calves. Usually this is Not Good. Especially when there's a nice three figure cliff involved. However, the cattle also had a bull with them. Surely a recipe for doom? After all, cattle have only one name for all kinds of dog, and that begins with a W.

But no, as the cows looked to the bull, who was utterly unbothered by tiny little dogs not even a 20th of his size, so the cows were unbothered, too. Tillbury found standing around cattle not worth barking at [unlike sheep, who are always worth a yap] and on we went.

We also met some pretty butterflies, some of which I was even able to ID. Ok, Painted Ladies [a whole 2 of them] are fairly easy. Ok, Dark Green Fritillaries aren't that hard either.. Common Blues? Yeah, so we saw some pretty butterflies. No dragonflies. Or horseflies. And I ain't never seen no elephant fly....

Ahem.

I could go on about all the flowers, the Thrift still out, the Scabious - what a name for such a beauty - and so on. I could once more rhapsodise about the ancient rocks of the Bolt, which have been turned to sparkly molasses by the incredible forces of tectonism. But I've done all that before, so I'll spare you a repeat.


Hi ho hi ho and all that...



No comments:

Post a Comment