02 April, 2010

'ardcore birding III

May I first of all solemnly promise that that was the last time I'll use the phrase "'ardcore birding." Honest. No, really. I'm almost as sick of it as you are.

What have I been up to? Well, as the title implies, something, er, dedicated. Yes, that's it - dedicated.

I've been trying not to mention the forecast all week for fear of jinxing it and that beautiful front coming through overnight like all the rest have this year. It almost pulled off a last-second swerve, but not quickly enough!

Yes, it was up at aaaargh o'clock [well, aaaargh thirty] this morning and down to Berry Head for the first full-on seawatch of the year! I was very surprised to find myself alone - I know young master Ray is swanning about in Morocco, but I was expecting someone to be there..?!? Anyway, the weather was behaving well - nice strong southerly, twitching SSE and playing with my brolly, and good pulsing rain. The front came through after an hour and a half or so - its passage was marked by the wind switching to a very strange WSW-kinda direction which left me almost entirely becalmed! Straight-down rain is very unusual in a seawatch, it had me quite unnerved - I was expecting a diabolical gust at any second, but it never materialised. The rain died off, I was thinking about taking off my waterproof trousers, and then a big fat squall with a hail-filled leading edge hit just after ten. Excellent. :D Then the sun came out. Bugger! The sun stayed out, and after a total watch of 4 1/2 hours I called it a day - as I got to my car, of course another squall arrived...

Right, time for the birds. It was very good - well worth the get-up!
Ahem;
5 Puffin [in the first hour]
3 Balearic [in the first half-hour]
136 Manxie [mostly in first hour and a half, including three sizable parties, then a few singles until half eleven or so]
1 imm. Black-throated Diver [on the sea, then flew south]
4 Red-throated Diver [2 ad. in s/pl]
1 G N Diver [imm.]
1 diver sp. [imm., probably Red-throated]
[[Divers through after the front passed]]
1 Sarnie north in the sunshine
2 very tough Swallow in/off
There was a fair passage of Kittiwakes south, including about 1/3 2cy, and the usual good numbers of Fulmar and Guillemot [plus a dozen Razorbill]. Only 47 Gannet moved past, and a small group lingered most of the morning - attending on the Harbour Porpoises, ~5 of which were showing pretty well. The usual non-seabird residents were all about, one of the Rockits treating me to some close-range singing. On a less-pleasant note, one of the 2cy Kitts, and a couple of the Guilles were oiled on the belly.. :(

All in all, though, a very good trip! 5 Puffins - I think that's the most I've seen in spring, though not a personal record due to the mighty 7 last July [slightly overshadowed by hearing about the albatross off Salcombe...]. Would have been nice to see a skua, but its still early for them, and Manxies, Fulmars, and fishing Gannets in the sunshine were a treat :D Also good to get practice in before things really heat up - the first two Balearics came through with Manxies, which was very considerate of them as it provided a very neat reminder of what to look for - and distant Fulmars with non-standard plumage in odd light and wind conditions are always a problem when August comes around...

Oooh, I can't wait! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment