04 August, 2012

Swift Update


I forgot again...

The main group of Swifts left on Tuesday, with only two hangers-on about on Wednesday. This date, 31/7, is the joint earliest departure date since I've been checking. I suspect the weather may have had something to do with it... The high count of 94 is the highest single count I've had, so the Swifts at least seem to have done ok. But as they are quite capable of trotting over the Channel to forage and their young can take gaps in feeding, perhaps this isn't unexpected?
The House Martins have fledged - though I haven't been able to get a count and I think they too have gone. Down side of work, I'm afraid..

Speaking of young; parties of juvenile Sparrows, plus a band of juv. Blue and Great Tits have been about, also a juv. Blackcap. Goldfinches have continued to be regulars on the sunflower hearts - one good thing that may be due to the devastation of the local trees? Do Goldies prefer more open areas, being into thistles and suchlike? Or maybe they're just desperate for food full stop....


No comments:

Post a Comment