30 December, 2013

A Black Start


[As opposed to a Blackstart, btw]


Hoping to get in behind the viciously tight frontal system forecast to come through early this morning, I headed down to the Nose.

Unfortunately, the weather hadn't read the forecast and a S-SSE 8 gusting 10 was in full cry, with sideways rain and all the trimmings...

I don't call The Lookout that just because it's a great viewpoint. With exposed rock treacherous underfoot and being open to any direction of wind it's a nasty surprise to anyone not expecting it. Sure enough, as I crossed it towards the Middle Path I was nearly picked up off my feet [despite going sideways..]. Mad? Yup.

Still, I got down in one piece and finding the Traverse mostly sheltered was a very pleasant surprise. I gave Hope Cove a good check and found a BT Diver and the Black Guille - so if there were 2 in Brixham again today then there are definitely 3 in the Bay - before looking to set up. The Traditional Spot was not as gust-wracked as the week before, but I still found myself hunched under my bumbleshoot, waiting out the front. I was able to see that nothing was passing this time and so just watched the brave Kitts playing over the SWBCM's slick.

After only 15 minutes or so, it was as if a switch had been thrown; rain eased right off, wind snapped around, and the sun almost came out!


I scurried over to The Steps and gave it two hours in increasing amounts of sunshine! ::Faints::

42 divers on show; 32S, 3N and 7 GND in Hope Cove when I left [no sign of the Blacks]. 459 Kitts, 268 auks [about 60/40], 276 Fulmar!, 101 Gannet, with a Bonxie, 2 C Scoter, and 4 Shoveler north. Harbour Porps were about, though with the swell all I can say is 2 or more. 2 Turnstone were mooching about the rocks with the Rockits and a collybita Chiff was in the Entrance Bushes.

The rest of the day was taken up with Stuff; mostly getting stuck in traffic...


Yesterday afternoon a wander about Yarner with the Folks produced Marsh Tits and  a flyover Crossbill or two, but it was great just being there.



Finally... Here's a pic I didn't put in from Saturday. Portland Harbour; the pipe by the Castle. This is an uncropped mobile shot; the water's edge is about 20' from me, the line of weed on the left is maybe 8' long. Spot the Brunnich's Guillemot...


Peekaboo, I see you!




No comments:

Post a Comment