27 December, 2015

Grebes!


So I went down to check the Blackball roost again this afternoon [try as I might, I can't call 4:00 evening..].

To my surprise there were actual Great Crested Grebes! 19 of them! Plus 2 smaller grebes, which looked very Slavonian, but were a bit too far out in the failing light to be sure of.


Conditions were much better than yesterday, and while it wasn't blowy enough for Kittiwakes to be sheltering [and a lot of the birds moved around towards points eastward - including the smaller grebes] I did get a half-decent gull count; 1100 at 1600 rose to 1850 at 1615, and to 3000+ at 1630.

The diver count had picked up as well, with the BTD again and 8 GND [plus a possible RTD].

5 Guillemots and the 6 C Scoter were also present.


Just to add icing, a Firecrest was with a couple of Goldcrests tacking along with a big LTT band along the cliff trees below my viewpoint.



Not bad. Not bad at all.




Be Seeing You.

No comments:

Post a Comment