29 October, 2016

More Of..


The same, really.

Last couple of days have been interrupted, or perhaps better put disrupted, by an attack of the plague. So no mad dashes Mendip-ward for me.

I have been bashing the Nose and areas adjacent when mobile, and have even seen the odd bird.


More than the odd one yesterday morning, with a big movement of Goldfinches - more than a hundred in half an hour early on [and with the impression of being the tailing-off of a serious overnight movement] - with Woodpigs and Song Thrushes also notable. Interesting species included Crossbills [one group] and Redpoll, plus the first Patch Brambling of the year. The latter was not one I expected, as I'm far more used to seeing them feeding under Beech trees, and so gave me quite the WTF until I realised what it was going over..!

Plenty of Guilles back on the Ore Stone, too; it was so calm you could hear them yarking from IMD..
Offshore, a small southward movement of Gannets and Kittiwakes caught the eye. They were flying with such determination that I was sure there'd be a Bonxie trolling along after them going "Hur Hur Hur" like a comic book school bully. Nope, so I have no idea what that was about.
Also the scoter flock was again south of Thatcher Rock - I got '15+' on them.

I wonder why the birds are so far out...?



Today's designed attempt at first light was stopped by lurgy, but when I was mobile I got down there anyway. Too late if there had been anything upstairs, and dead quiet on the deck, though a thrush sp.* was in/off and away over Ilsham.

Chasing a small auk on the sea, I ended up at Meadfoot, and again the scoters were off out - just SE of the outer Buoy Farm - with ~20 present, plus two more 'ducks that looked very like Eider' not too far from them.
Closer to, the annual horde of Woodpigs were feasting among the evergreens near Kilmorie, and below them, the Goldcrests had at least one Firecrest with them [but nothing sexier that was calling].

Also of interest;

Mmmmh, strata...

Wait a sec, who's that??

Hiding from the Geebs


Time for some pretty scenery;

Meadfoot in calmer weather


 I know, I should stop putting junk shots up, but I just can't stop myself..









 Finally, and even worse [yes, really] was this aerial surprise;

Parascender




Be Seeing You...




[[*That is all I have on it. Most likely a SThrush, but seemed wrong even for that. Nowt to do with it, really.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment