12 December, 2010

Waxwing Update


Mixed news, I'm afraid...

Went over to Waitrose this morning and staked out the Rowans. And waited. And waited. Just after 9-00 3 Waxwings flew over low and headed east on the same line they took yesterday - towards Plainmoor [that's the Torquay United ground, btw, as opposed to the area Waitrose is in, which is also called Plainmoor; when we like a name we use it a lot! ;) ]. I checked back where they'd come from but no sign of number 4. I then followed their course and with better light checked every tall tree and berry bush I could find but no joy. From the way they've been consistently heading on one flightpath [and low, skimming the rooftops] I think what they're doing is returning to a resting point between feeding on multiple small sites, but where that resting point is I can't discover! [I assume a tree - the thought occurred that they might be using the floodlights at Plainmoor, as Starlings often do, but no] It's really very frustrating...

No comments:

Post a Comment