08 September, 2017

Off To See The Man


Time for a break from all this sitting about staring at the sea. Wednesday was the day - with a lack of forecast rain helping no end - and so off I went;


Yep, up on t'Moor!


The next name on my list of places to go was.. Well, I'll let you guess.


First tor I reached was sitting atop a sea of grass. Like so;

Tor atop grass


Then onward northwards, past another tor, over a wall, and onto the high bog!

It was a little damp up there, but not too bad with only minor meandering required.

On the way, I saw this and was amused;
 
Insert pithy comment about social media here


Right then, no more messing about, here's The Man I was up there to see;

With Fur Tor in the background

Yes, this is of course the Beardown Man. Without doubt my favourite standing stone on the Moor, he stands way out in the middle of nowhere, with only his fallen row and the low outcrop of Devil's Tor for company. Though I would not be at all surprised if there wasn't a buried circle in the area.
 
Up close and personal;
 
The Beardown Man
 
With Devil's Tor

The Man wasn't quite alone, though, as the tor was occupied;

"No, I'm not posing!"

"I'm not scared, his autofocus will get stuck on the grass..."

Wheatears! Quite why they were there [and nowhere else, despite far better-looking habitat] is just another of those things you wonder about.

I pressed on, looking for some shelter from the impressive wind, and found something like it at Rough Tor. Also a view;

The White Tors and Longaford Tor, from Rough Tor

Rough Tor was occupied, too. This chap was a little less happy about the wind than the Wheatears were, though..

Black Darter

Trying very hard to hold on long enough to bask, poor thing...

It was glorious up there, and I tarried a fair while before eventually wandering back via Crow Tor to Beardown Tor [yes, that one up there], where I again plonked down and enjoyed the view. [It's terrible, isn't it?]

Crow Tor, plus assorted livestock


Now, landscape is not the only thing I notice, and indeed, on my way out I noticed something very interesting along Holming Beam*. Oh, you thought gulls were bad, you gibbered in horror at the fossils and palaeoripples.. Now experience a whole new level of brain-melting abomination;

Look at that soil section!!

Yes; soil!!!!  Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaa...

And it gets worse, as I've added a few notes, so you can appreciate it a little better;

Arrows running along boundaries

Yes, 8 layers of fun for all the family.


:D



Be Seeing You..







[[*A beam being another name for a gert, usually running straight up a hillside; and indeed sometimes right over the top]]

No comments:

Post a Comment