27 April, 2019

Long Hot Weekend. Pt. 3, In Between; The Insects!


Nothing like High Summer weather [and it got to 25° here in sunny shelter, which is more like August] to bring out the bugses.

In between the major blog features, I met a few on Patch, and I think they deserve a little post of their own.

Holly Blue

Very rarely do you get one posing like this on a sunny day!  :D At most you get ones like in the last post - wings shut tight.

I'd been chasing and trying to get a Holly shot for a fair while, but finally this one did [while I was laden with sweet things for the Folks, of course!]. This is why we use a pocket-friendly camera and try not to forget it, I reminded myself. :)
I harbour the fond dream of one day finding a Brimstone which will do something like this....

Closer to Home;

Bee!

The sunshine brought out loads of bees, with my building proving very popular for what I think are assorted mining bees. It got to the point where I had to keep all the windows closed to stop them coming in - like this poor thing [which was successfully freed].

Outside, it transpired that something of a war was going on...

Bee sp.

Creamy of head, orangey of abdomen, long of antennae. Red Mason Bee, mayhaps?

Presumably the same

Better lit

Ok, you get the idea

However, it wasn't all just sitting on a warm wall, oh no. Any bee that stopped moving was immediately a target for any other passer-by, who flew up, grabbed the rester, and tore it bodily away!

Not just the same species, either, anyone was fair game;

Buff-tailed Bumblebee
[I think] 
Minding her own beeswax...

...only to be viciously assailed!!

And yes, the bee ripped the much bigger bumble right off...

 GoT's got nothing on my Wall! [Ahem]


After all that drama, I shall

Bee Seeing You...
[Groan]

No comments:

Post a Comment