24 November, 2018

The East Wind Doth Blow, 2


Right then, finally the other stuff from last week.



So, Saturday dawned to a howling easterly, with mistyfog verging on sideways drizzle.

Scenic lumps of rock

Naturally, I was down at the Nose, where the sea revealed.. Very little.
Surely something was moving? Well, a 5 minute timed count gave 7 Gannets south and 2 north. Hmm.

Nice primary moult



A GND was in the bouncy lee of the Ore Stone, and another closer in in Hope Cove, again, though this time my attempts at photography were foiled by an interloper, which drove the diver off;

Der-dum... der-dum


The wind, which was on the far side of brisk and working on stiff, had brought up quite a swell, which didn't deter some mad Bass-hunters, risking life, limb, and the time of the RNLI.. They had a tent and a nice big fire, so I guess they were full-on rebels. That, or the TCCT has gone back to 'we won't even pretend' let alone 'annoy but not prosecute'..?

They are doing something, though;

Slash and burn
[then cordon off the deadly ashes]


Mow it flat, burn the big stuff, leave the cuttings. Ok.


I was also annoyed [it got a bit annoying], by this;

Pile of Clouded Funnel


Is this someone 'foraging' or just plain vandalism? [I sometimes have trouble telling the two apart]. I did find at least one shroom en situ;

A bit old and battered,
possibly Fairy Ring Champignon


A little earlier in time, I had another look at the Blackball roost, as I only had logic to believe there'd be nothing there in easterly winds, so Science demanded I check it.

I did find some birds, and in case you doubt [heaven forfend!], here are some blobs;

Kittiwakes!
Plus the odd Herring.
Really.

Circa 240 Kitts and 30-odd Herrings only, but more than I expected. Nothing else, of course.

Oddicombe Beach

Note the sand level! Each of those steps is about 30cm, with the last - ie. the base - being well in excess of 1m thick.

Moving on in time.. A Monday afternoon look at Meadfoot - the wind having come around to north of east - was more full of scenery than birds;


Very pretty

Thatcher Rock

There were a few birds about, though again nothing diving visible in the mighty swell.

Brent Geese!

Those two flew north out of the Bay.

Rockits safer on the road than the beach!

Best photo missed, though [oh, what's new] as having just taken some nice wave shots, I was turning away as I put the camera back in my pocket- and froze as I realised there was a bird sat on the sea wall, not ten feet from me.. 2cy male Blackstart! Yes, close enough to age and sex with barenaked eyesight!
Of course I had to try to get the camera on him, and of course the mere sound of the lens extending was enough to make him fly off..* I will be back and I will keep trying.

Back to the scenery..

Boff!

Like I said, a good swell. This is more than an hour after a not-very high tide, too.. :)

Definitely a bit pretty


Winter thrushes keep flying over, not all at night now, the weather is actually feeling cold - a proper bit of car scraping Weds morning; first one this winter - and I continue to search for something that is both interesting and willing to be photo'd.

You never know.


Be Seeing You...


[[*Ok, I doubt this was actually audible over the crashing waves, but it seemed to be what did the trick..]]

No comments:

Post a Comment