08 June, 2020

Fritillary Frenzy!


In which, on one sunny day on t'Moor, I see all the Frits you can see in Devon that aren't Heath.

Really.


Yes, you've twigged, haven't you? MAAAAARSH FRIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ahem.


I suppose we ought to open with one;


Marsh Fritillary

Oh oh oh helllz yessssssssssssssssssssssss

:D

And it's sat on a very pretty orchid, too.

Perhaps of more interest for serious lepidopteristas out there would be this;

Silver-washed Fritillary

Out in May [pic taken on 30/5] and around long enough to pick up a stowaway; so at least a day old?
[Yes, you may recall you've seen this one before]

I was at That Fritillary Place for most of my time, and oh boy, were the High Browns putting on a show...

High Brown Fritillary

Showing quite well

Dark Green Fritillary

Dark Greens and Small Pearls in smaller numbers.

A Border of Pearls

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary


Not the greatest photo..
Pearl-bordered

Marsh Fritillary

Wow.

I have dozens of shots of mostly HBs, but I shall behave and show you other spp. that were about;

Super-tough Peacock,
still flying!

Green Hairstreak

Large Skipper

Meadow Brown

Small Heath
 
Small Tortoiseshell
 

Female Golden-ringed Dragonfly

Teneral Keeled Skimmer.
Munching large fly

Freshly-emerged Keeled Skimmer

Black-tailed Skimmer


Male Beautiful Demoiselle

Female Beautiful Demoiselle

Large Red Damselfly

Teneral female Azure Damselfly

Bee-fly

Hoverfly

Jasper.. but no!
Very good wasp-mimic Hoverfly

Marsh Thistle

Southern Marsh Orchid

Heath Spotted Orchids

Bogbean

Creeping Forget-me-not

Monkeyflower



More High Brown

::Straw noise::

Yup, that one's a male!


Lots of sun, quite a bit of wind, and lots and lots of High Brown Fritillaries! But finally finding Marshies in Devon was something else. At frickin' last and other comments. :)


Required bird;
singing Willow Warbler!

Ok, that'll do, I think.

I'm sure I've forgotten something [or things] but never mind, post it while I can!


Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment