21 February, 2023

Getting On With It


[INSERT APOLOGIES FOR DELAY HERE]





Ahem.


After a year of only leaving the county to chase Lifers, I've resolved not to do that this year. So it was that with half-decent weather and something approaching impetus, I managed to get myself up to the Levels [er, last weekend, like the sign said...]

Easier said than done, with a sleep-issues affected delay added to with interest by a big accident on the M5, which I got neatly caught up in...

Anyways, I got up the Ham Wall mid morning [first light would have been ideal, but what the what] and set to ambling about looking for interesting things as well as the usual winter lovelies.
 
I wasn't the only one
keeping an eye out
 


Prime target was the highly exotic prospect of a wintering male Garganey. 
Naturally, I didn't see it.

Bitterns and Beardies were seen [and heard, mostly with the latter] but evaded any attempt at getting nice pics [or indeed any pics...], other birds I'd already seen in Devon were also naturally, far more forthcoming,

More common than Grey Herons...


La

Le

Les

Pochard!

Beed Runting

 
Vexed by a lack of G-things [there was this Isbis, too, you see....] I took stock and in a fit of madness bid to seek new life new sites, new birds, and new straight-edged reedbeds, I wandered right out of the far side of the site, right hand down a bit, and went wandering down thattaway in search of a reported Lesser Scaup.


After finding many new bits [like that one up there] not entirely unlike the old bits, I eventually found the right big rectangular patch of wet stuff.

Also many duckies. One was a Goldeneye, which was nice, but eventually giving up hiding behind an island;
Confusion pair??

Shock!

Lesser Scaup
of a female nature

Having seen one wandering yankee, I boldly tried for another.































That gap, by the by, is nowhere near as long as I sat and waited for the male AmWig to drag his vermiculated arse into view on Meare Tank 2.

But when he did...

American Wigeon
of a dozy nature 

Head only came up when behind vegetation, the git, but OH was he gorgeous through the scope. Never had one anywhere near so close - he hid behind the near bank, you see - and oh dearie me...



But all this wandering and waiting had used up the already limited time I had. The hordes of gibbering oh-yahs were gathering for tha Stahhhhlings, yah? and I too had my limits.

I also had an elsewhere to be.

[Ok, several, but hunting Bewick's Swans and a GWT had to be kaiboshed, alas]


I drove, I climbed [in one. Just...]
and yes, I once again beheld the view, the view from

The Mump!!

[Yes, yes, that's the view from the Mump - though containing a bit thereof :P - not of The Mump, but you get the idea]

You may compare with images past and wonder where all the water is. I did too.

Fields far drier and far emptier of waterfowl... Drat.

No wild swans for me, oh no.

No Cranes, either, in the gathering gloom...

But not one but TWO Barn Owls - at scope range, alas, but still lovely - ghosted their way across the landscape. One to the back right of this view, the other off right of it.


Birdie type picture;

'A few' Lapwing


It is not widely appreciated, but Starlings are not the only birds which murmurate. Indeed any bird which forms flocks and roosts communally; I witnessed about 500 Lapwing do it - low to the ground - and it was spectacular. :D




Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment