18 May, 2023

That Friday Feeling


I wasn't giving up on my Quest to find a Wood Warbler in Devon.


I'd had to go a verrrrrry long way last year, and wouldn't hesitate to do the same this one, either [despite ::Operatic chorus:: Not chasing a yearliiiiiiiiiist!    Ahem ]. Another Friday [fewer people about, also seizing the day and the weather] and another kitting up.


With something more like sustained sunshine and only a slight howling northerly [well, sort of] I tried again. Many are the slopey woods of Devonia, and in one of them, a rather unassuming area, less 'classic' than you might expect, I heard well before I saw....


JOY!!!!!!!!

Hit the zoom, there, boy...

Zip zip zip-zip-zip-zipzipzipziiiiiiiiiiiii'i'i'i'i!!!!!


I almost burst, I tell you.
It'd been a week [ok, usually is...] and a trip out, for that matter, but oh, this is why we do it.


For what I hope are obvious reasons, I didn't press the issue, but went on my way further Into The Woods.

Evidently it was Posing Day


And then, because Life is like that...

Another!

That photo is sharp, btw, the tail is just vibrating with power of the song [so's the mandible, if you look closely].

Got my eye on you, mate

Like I said, they watch the ground carefully.


Moving on further,

Definitely Posing Day!

When She likes you, She likes you! The Goddess of Birding smiled upon my poor unworthy self - I only met one tick, even! - and it did rain birdies. Well, mostly.
 
 
Beetle ID Contest 1
 
Beetle ID Contest 2
 
Beetle ID Contest 3
 

That last one appears to be car-nivorous...?!?


Ahem.




I later got a bit carried away and tried a skywatch for the net result of a few Buzzards and hirundines.
Worth a try.



Oh, and stopping off on my way home, I found this,

That's no grebe...

Drake Goosander!

First of the year, I think  [Or did I see one on the Exe??]



What A Day.


Joy is the word, oh yes it is.



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment