26 October, 2023

Birding Backwards Again. Pt.2, If At First You Sort-of Succeed...


After a weekend largely lost to my tricksy head, another mostly taken up with my inability to get going [I'm still blaming the pills] saw me only getting moving on Sunday afternoon.

Still, better than nothing and I tried a variation on the week before [seeing the way things were going, it seemed reasonable]


This time I took the closer but far [far far far] busier option of Emsworthy.

[The fact that The Teacher had been there in the morning and had 20+ Ring Ouzels had bearing on this whatsoever]


It was indeed very busy and I had to make quite an effort to find somewhere to even park, then walk back in.

Oh well, at least it's a nice spot, right?


Just the odd berry
on the Hawthorns

I wasn't expecting much in the way of birds to still be about, with so many people, but I am glad to say I was wrong in this, though until the vast majority of the hordes departed, the poor thrushes were pushed about all over the place, and so very hard to see well [let alone for long]


Later..

How many Ouzels can you see?


They won't sit still while you zoom in, the buggers.


The first Ouzel

Closer Ouzel on deck,
later on

Ring Ouzel and Fieldfare

Just hitting it with a bunch of Ouzel shots...





I have many more, but I'll stop that there.
Of note,

Mistle Thrush and Fieldfare

Redwing

Song Thrush

All 6 thrushes on display, and it's not often that a) you can say that and b) that Ring Ouzel outnumbers the rest put together!

Fieldcraft used on Fieldfare
[if only the sun hadn't gone
behind a cloud...]

Also

Just

one

or two

fungi on display

All very scenic

I used the tried and tested tactic of finding a good spot and waiting quietly, and once all the fieldcraft-less and fungus thie foragers had gone, it worked nicely.

Also a lovely spot just to sit and enjoy. The [alas heard-only] Golden Plovers weren't bad, either. Or the very low-flying Grey Heron, which, seen through trees, had me going as a possible Barn Owl [ahem.. You had to be there]



And finally...

The Black Rabbit of Inlé!





Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment