28 October, 2023

Birding Backwards Again. Pt.3, Wait, Is That...?!?


Getting all the way back to the 20th, and I was for once able to drag myself to the Nose in the morning [late morning, but we'll take what we can get].

I ran in to a couple of The Irregulars - one leaving, one arriving - to hear best bird on site was a Med Gull.

Oh well, try it anyway, right?



The bushes were indeed pretty sparse, and the sea wasn't great either.

But I did find the odd thing.
 
There was some movement, with a handful of Skylark and the odd Mipit and alba Wagtail overhead. Bird of the day [and possibly month] went trolling North, passing behind the Ore Stone. Took me while to twig what the 'Wait, that's not a Shelduck' was. Bit too long, perhaps, but I had it all the way through and it eventually dawned what those big white wing panels and dark splodge on the head meant; Egyptian Goose!!!!
[Why the excitement for what is a bare feather's breadth above a Canada? Only a Patch Tick, that's why!] And they breed in Devon, too.
I did not get a picture, so you're spared the horror of that.



Let's get to the title for our first photo, though it isn't exactly a fancy thumbnail image;

A dragonfly, hawker type,
but which one??

This was coming up the Rock Path, on my way out. Pausing at the Wryneck Bit, I happened to look up at the right time to pick that out buzzing about above me. Never had it but from below; an olivey browny smallish hawker with a straight abdomen and no visible blue on said. No yellow markings on the thorax, and a greenish tint to the eyes [only saw them from below].
All of which you should see from that photo, I hope.
 
I did hit it again,

Sharper but backlit

It went into the Sun and I lost it.


All in all, it looked horribly like a Vagrant Emperor.......

Big call, not exactly brilliant pictures.
Bugger and so on.





Earlier, I had a far better-shot first for Patch insect;

Vestal!

One of many 'I really want to see' moths. Just sitting in the grass on the First Slope.

Continuing the insect theme,

Sometimes

hoverflies

will behave.

Mr Kestrel

Keep sifting the gulls...

Every now and again, someone will
wonder why there are so few passerines
found at the Nose, and why those that do
show up bugger off so quickly.
 
Behold.

Hordes of frothing Robins + multiple escape routes = no Magnolia Warbler for us lot.


At least there are always Rockits.




Keeping on keeping on, as and when and so on.




[I do have some half-decent pics from Home to show in the near future. Also moths. Oh dear...]


Anyways,



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment