12 January, 2024

No County For Old Birders. Pt.2, Cold, Wet, Not Miserable a) Defying The Flood


The day after the day after I suffered delugus interruptus to my Glorious First attempt, I was out again, seeking Thcwewy Duckth and Others around and about Slapton.

The Ley was - as you might have expected after all that rain - rather high. It rained more, just to rub it in.

I was joined on and off this time by The Teacher and No.1 Son, while various water birds did their best to mess us about.


I'm going to cut to the 'Gotcha you varmint!' moment [technically my second, but we'll get to that] as it's a nice thumbnail and we have to think of our clickbait, after all...


Ring-necked Duck
[also a Coot's arse,
and reeds to show how
close they are]

He wasn't in Ireand Bay when The Teacher looked [after getting through a very flooded path to the viewpoint], but at the same time, I was down at Torcross;

The Artist is not so-named
for no reason

Hmm, interesting. Now let's look out the window,

Do you see what I saw?


A relocation beckoned for me, but first, on the way there.... Ooh, look at these characters;

If you know,
you know.

:D

Right, Stokeley Hide and...

Rain, yes. Rainbow, yes.
Ringer? Nope...

Four Goldeneye [2 and 2] were way off on the seaward side [as per usual for the species], but not a sniff of anything ringey.

The only grebe I'd already got.
Of course.

But wait, what's that lurking tune...??


Sounds like Derrrrrr-dum
Derrr-dum




Dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-da-dah!
Dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-da-dah!

Great White!




Nope, not getting tired of that one.

Five Shoveler arrived - not very usual for Slapton - but no Scaup of any kind.

Closest I could get,

Er....


Relocating myself northward, I faced the issue of getting through a very flooded way to look at Ireland Bay. I tried sneaking around the back, meeting a newbie for the year;

Grey Wagtail

I also - once I got past a fallen tree and a sea of mud - found knee-deep and then some water. Bugger.

Going around the longer way, I defied the flood successfully and so - only slightly squelchy of foot - got to the Ireland Bay platform in time to take that shot up there. And have 2 GWEs fly about in front.

Two egrets, one swan

One quite close

If only Spielberg knew...
Great Whites can fly!

Stopping it.
;)


Also of note on my travels;

Around since December

Oooh

Ahhh


[Yes, we were being rained on, quite hard...]



A female Goosander eluded me completely, but I wasn't too bothered. Being Scaup-less was more vexing, but them's the breaks.


Onwards, onwards [did I mention the  scope views of the RND were exquisite? No? They were :) ]




Be Seeing You...


No comments:

Post a Comment