02 January, 2024

Hello January


In that time-honoured tradition of doing a review of the last year, I am again struck by the thought; why not just look at that bit on the left. You know, the archive of posts?


I have in the past gone to great lengths to assess the highlights of the past year, making a Top Ten and everything. I suppose it has a valid purpose.
But I can't help but think - with more than an eye on my ever-expanding backlog of posts in need of writing - what's the point?

Then again. What the hell.


A few notes, perhaps? A summary of sorts.





Last year I didn't go chasing yearticks in a defined area like a demented loon, and it told, with 209 species for Devon, plus that Forster's Tern, being my grand total. As I have so often said that "Any birder paying attention through the year in Devon will get 200", 209 ain't great shakes. [Assuming you cover ground, seawatch, and so on. But of course you do. ;) ]


2024 will be a little different, as I'm chasing Devon again.


But more on that elsewhen.



2023 had some serious highlights, and standing out has to be that magical day at Hope's Nose with The Teacher, The Veteran, and THOUSANDS of large shearwaters. Oh my sweet Goddess, that was something.


Seawatching was often a quiet affair, with weather effects and HPAI tolls, but when it worked, oh boy. Such as the Leach's Petrels, and that bird I photo'd but nobody can ID from said image alone [curses].


On land, finding out Wood Warblers aren't quite as gone as I'd feared [yet...], and the business with the harriers ["That's no Herring Gull, that's an adult male Hen Harrier!"]. A few wonderful days up on t'Moor, with photo'd Merlin and Things I Still Can't Talk About [sorry]. Little asian warblers, great big Alpine Swfts {plural!!!}, and a year-ending Beauty [look down, yes that one]. Baby GSWs coming to my Skygarden and moulting into grownups, Small Blue Butterflies on my Patch.


It wasn't all great. Circumstances, Fate, Destiny, Chance, and [worst of all] Having A Job conspired to prevent me seeing a single one of the yankee invaders in a record-breaking year [The Forster's doesn't count; seabird].


But that's birding [and Life, they say]. Ups and downs.



Those big shears, though....




Be Seeing You...



No comments:

Post a Comment