28 April, 2018

The Filling


Relief at last from that awful cliffhanger..


After giving up on the Nose last Saturday, I decided to try some birding further afield and once more found myself at Exminster and Powderham Marshes.


I also found some more birders, and we were found, well, flown over, by a few birds. Unfortunately, these were put up by a twerp in an ultralight, presumably deliberately to see them fly [yes, clear course changes over river and marsh and of course far too low].

This one, in fact;

Where's Xena when you need her?


Said birds were mostly Shelduck, with large numbers present - I later counted 152 in view and I'd be confident there were more I couldn't see - and some shown here;

Shelduck

A few more

You get the idea

Not just Shelduck up there, though

Whimbrel

Not a Summer yet

Looking less up, we [for we were three at this point] located with admittedly not much trouble another waif and or stray upon the Marsh. What is it with geese this year?

White-fronted Goose
[Eurasian, 2cy]

Did I mention there were lots of Shelduck?

"Stuff them, look at me!"

Ok then

Sedge Warbler!

Who turned the sun on?

That last was taken later and further away, as I had by that time decided to wander over to Powderham, to take up position [and rations!] at the viewpoint and hope for a Red Kite. If the sun came out.

This it did, but only after it rained hard a couple of times!

In a shock that had me singing a certain musical song, I actually saw a Red Kite... ::Faints:: It was glorious, it was in view for about five minutes, it stayed on the far bank of the Exe... Drat and double drat. Even the Marshie popped up, and also stayed the far side of the water - indeed the far side of the frickin' water tower - but then again, so did the 9+ Buzzards, too.

Indeed, only one raptor came close enough to get more than little blobs [I do have little red and dark brown blobs of the other two, but there are limits..]. As such, I hope you'll excuse my excess here;









:D


Flew off north 
after being beaten up by Canadas


There were other things in the air. Also well present were insects, including my first Orange Tip, Brimstone and a surprise GV White. It was very warm, though. Also lots of hoverflies, one of which was very big, and often very close. So close it got zapped!

Gotcha!

Twice!

Struck a pose

It was still very very muddy over there, the waters having solidified a bit, not a lot... But it was lovely to watch all the activity, and getting soaring raptors is always a treat.

Ok, filling filled. Now all I need to do is post about this week...


Oh dear.

Be Seeing You...


No comments:

Post a Comment