07 November, 2020

A Bridge Too Late


Monday.

With a new lockdown looming and being freshly onto nights, I took what seemed at the time to be my last chance to go swanning off after birds. A Bittern tarting about in broad daylight for two days running looked like a pattern and seemed worth a try, so it was that I wandered down Slapton way.

I spent two hours stood on a bridge in a very cold wind, waiting for this blimmin' thing to appear..

Yup, not a sniff.


I did see a nice Sprawk, two Kingfishers, a Cetti's [yes saw] and a Water Rail [yes, saw again]. 350+ Starlings did their best to murmurate and I may have set a new personal record for long-range freshwater duck-scoping* [RNDs and their lovely distinctive triangular heads - not even a year tick, though...!]


Well, that's birding. Sometimes you win and sometimes you get cold and at least not rained on really hard. 
I held on until it was dark, as once upon a time when hanging around on said bridge a Bittern walked right under me... ::Fond sigh of recollection:: closest I've even seen one, I didn't dare breath..  :D
Not this time, though.


And I didn't even get a nice LEO - or anything else - on my way home in the dark, either. [Tut]



Leprechaun indicates Bittern location




Be Seeing You...





[[* At sea I've done much better, though mostly cliff-assisted.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment