12 August, 2022

Doing Something At Last


Finally getting my act together, I dragged myself out of bed at an almost reasonable hour and zipped up to finally get up on t'Moor and finally [there's a lot of finally's going on here, you notice] get up to my favourite spot on said t'Moor.



Wild Tor!

From the south; with extra coobeasties, Steeperton Tor, and the Belstone Ridge.



Inclement weather, the Need to chase inconsiderate tweetiebirds, and a broken rucksack had kept me off for, well, ages.

New rucksack and sod the weather - it was a bit on the hot and sunny side for Moor yomping, as you can see... - I just did it.


The plan was simple; get up to Wild Tor for lunch and take the rest as it came. New bag, lack of fitness, etc. etc.

I felt rather good after a very lazy 90 minutes* there, so thought 'why not go up Hangingstone Hill?'
 
The view from Hangingstone was lovely [and too panoramic for a decent representation without animation..] and my legs didn't feel bad, and well, Cranmere Pool's right over there....

Yes, that is an actual Pool,
front left. You'd get a Crane
in it, too.!

I had nigh on 3 litres of assorted fluids with me, with more in the car [be prepared] and rationed it well, but of course I hadn't factored on my legs going 'ok, that's enough, can we stop now?' while I was still on the high blanket bog...
I think I'm getting old. [-er]

Anyways, I finished the bent loop I'd started by heading back up Hangingstone [it's much easier from West Dart Head way] then over and around the Walla, passing south of Watern Tor to the Pole Bridge over Teign.

Said Teign being low enough to ford - first time ever! - guarded by coobeasties [with a Big Bull, too.!] and patrolled by dragons. Then it was just Shovel Down and back over Teign and Walla at Scorhill bridges, where I found so many peoples.. Oh well.
 
Clapper bridge over
Walla Brook
 

We now have some pictures from the amble [a mere 21km, btw: first 20+ of the year... Poor, so very poor, that], which I'm sure is what you've been scrolling down for... ;)

Spot Fly

Moulty Mipit

"Got any sammiches?"

"Did someone say japflack??"

"Ok, everyone ready for
the group photo? Show us your
best sides and say 'Worms!' "

Black Darter, m

Out in huge numbers on the bogs, and far easier to photo than never-stopping Common Hawkers.

Black Darter, f

Funny year indication no.358, Black is my first darter of the year!?!


Barred Straw
[landed on me at Cranmere]

Lined Froghopper
[ditto, but after my coffee!]


Round-leaved Sundew

Join the Army,
learn to fly.

White Moor Circle

Scorhill Circle

Landmarks;
the Thurlestone and
Castle Drogo



My poor legses were most unhappy with me, so it was a little convenient that it was too hot to do anything much the day after..!

Wonderful to be Up And Out Again.

:D



Be Seeing You...


[[* What?? **]]
[[** I did have my li'l scope, and much [rather fruitless] skywatching was done. Also waiting for Wheatears to come to me. :) ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment