16 August, 2022

This Post May Still Contain Punnes


'A punne, or play-on-words' as the Master usually put it.
:)


Yeah, you'll be getting a few of these, though nowhere nearly as dangerous to life and sanity as the great Sir Pterry's... [Or as good, obv.]


So, what's to do with the punfest and why am I so Choughed with myself that I can't resist them?

Well, you see, I've coveted certain mis-named corvids for a long, long while. And giving the cornish a load of our Cirls without getting any back just added salt to the wound, I can tell you.
Other people coming by them in Devon just stopped me forgetting, and well, recent events...
 
Anyways, a report on saturday of '5 around Prawle' was too much to bear, and as I actually had a Sunday to play with, I reckoned it worth a try and damn the heatpedoes [that was very bad]



A fresh breeze of a vaguely easterly direction was blowing, which helped a lot until you got out of it, but oooch it was toasty.

I parked at the top due to the nt being gimps, and walked a goodly loop. Coming back up was not amusing, but I made it, despite Choughing away like a steam engine at the top of the steepest bit...


And, despite finding large areas of Choughless sun-baked coast, I did eventually encounter 


Well, you've seen the thumbnail already, right?


"Cheeeeaaargh!"

[Jackdaws say 'chuff!'.]

Oh.
Hellz.
Yes.

:D
 
I think I have something to crow about: Devon Tick and a very showy one!

Chough on deck.

In a cattle field.

See one, get one free;

"Hey. You got any sammiches?"


I know these aren't much to rook at, but Choughs are right little buggers when it's time to get the camera on them. I'm sure it's deliberate.
Just like they are at sites further west, they're either right there and so obvious, or just... Gone.



I didn't just see the noisy darlings, I even gave the sea an hour [ho ho frickin' ho], and assorted pictures are now on show;

Clouded Yellow

One of at least 4 present :)

Distant Wheatears

Sarnies
[just these 2, though]

Birder's view ;)

Six-spot Burnet
on Creeping Thistle

Small White

Some stripey thing,
dozens of them about...


At least 10 Oystercatcher and two parties [10 total] of Ringed Plover, put up by free-running dogs, of course... 

Gulls, too! [On islands, being Not Daft]. Only one picture, as I know Mercy;
 
Gull ID Challenge!


[But not that much... Heh heh heh]

How many species can YOU see?
:)



And now for a little scenery,

Looking towards Peartree Point.

[Compare that one with the same view on the Buff-bellied Pipit twitch....]

Prawle Point

That arch looks like it's just been stuck on as an afterthought, doesn't it?


Bolt Head, with
Starehole Valley partly
hidden by Sharptor

Showing why you get so many good things in Starehole; first and last sheltered stop. The pond [fresh water = massive magnet] is just under the left building, level with lowest tan field, in this view.


Stone wall style

Gammon Head* **

::Swats Sting::

Ahem.


An aside now. 
It is an infamous fact that the mobile reception around Prawle is, not so much poor as totally absent. Even in line of sight to Salcombe you get nothing.
Even up atop the plateau at East Prawle village, you've got to stand on a bench and hope...
So I was just slightly surprised to get a text message [on my yes utterly ancient phone {before anyone has conniptions, look at the blog title, folks 😉 } ].
It started like this;

Now that's a powerful mobile tower!


Changing subject;

Most interesting thing I
saw at Slapton Bridge
on the way home..


Oh yes, I happened to be passing a site where a Spotted Crake has been tarting about on my way home. It would have been rude not to drop in on the off chance.

No chance.

[Crakes are very dawn and dusk, usually!]


And whilst the numbers of idiots on the roads was... well, what you'd expect for a sunny Sunday in August [ie. meeeeeeellions] it was still a jolly good day out.
 
More Choughage!
 
Choughed off
 




Be Seeing You...




[[* Yes, that's Salcombe in the background. Yes, they go by yacht to the beach.... ]]
[[** I always think it looks like Red Dwarf, myself.. :D ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment