07 April, 2024

More Rain


I figured I ought to give 'winter' species another go, so headed up to Fernworthy in the vain hope of a Great Grey Shrike [well, there might have been one up there, unseen and not very looked-for] then out onto the Moor in the equally vain hope of a Merlin or even a nice SEO. [Yes, I know it was a bit windy, but the sun was shining, the Willow Warbler was singing when I got there, and, well, like I said; hope]


However completely I failed to find my targets, I did see the odd nice bird, before the sideways rain became the rule not the exception, and it's never a waste of time to get out there.

You never know what might turn up, right?




Clearfell may have been shrikeless, but not birdless;

Lesser Redpoll

A half dozen of them, how about that?

Also lots [as in dozens] of 

"No, no, I'm a Tree Pipit!"

"Laaaa!!"


Sitting quietly and unobtrusively often has benefits, such as seeing one of these without being rattled at;

Mistle Thrush



In less-felled areas, these were about;

Crossbill


Closer-to and in slightly better focus, the warmth and rain had encouraged a few fungi to appear [oh yes], and so behold;

Milky Bonnet

Orange Webcap?



And of course, we need some scenic views;

It started wonderfully sunny...

Well, that one missed!


Dirty sheep?

Wethers up close


I'd checked all the felled areas [yes, all of them. I was thorough] and then went out to Sittaford Tor to overlook a moderately-sheltered bit of the near Moor. In the lee of a handy stone wall [one runs right over the tor], with brolly [told you I was thorough] protecting me from passing showers, I was quite well set. Unfortunately, nobody told the wildlife and I had no birds to write of.

Oh well.

Here's the view;

Looking towards Quintin's Man and
White Horse Hill. With sheeeeep for colour

After one that didn't miss.
 

A rather diminshed Fernworthy on the right, Cosdon Beacon way off on the left.
 
 
Skylarks and Mipits were up and singing, but, well, all that food but not a Merlin to catch it. I don't know...

The weather got a lot rainier, and I had to get moving at some point. As I left, showers got replaced by not so much rain as 'yaaaargh'. The onslaught eased as I got to the Grey Wethers, but then started again as soon as I left [you only get so much grace]. A much soggier birder got to the shelter of the trees... and the Sun came out.
No more heavy rain until just as I was getting to my car and thinking on a quick diversion. 'Hmm. Someone's finding this funny' thought I.


But it was still good to be out up on t'Moor.



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment