09 May, 2016

On A Mission


I was birding on a Mission on Saturday.

With the Dread Kentish Blocker Plover finally ticked, I decided it was time to get his associate.

Long has it been that I have pondered on this, but fortunately the raspberries and one of Devon's Most InFamous gave me the gen I needed; somewhere in reach. [Ie. not frickin' norfolk...]


So it was that I girded my loins, prepped my kit, and dragged up far far too early and headed to wiltshire.


My goal?

This sneaky git;
What do you mean you can't see anything???




Ok, actually a valid point, as naked eye and even bins were vanquished by this master of open ground stealth. But no bird can withstand the Big Scope. Here, let me help you;

Stone Curlew

See?

How about another go?
Looking a little more to the left.


You think these are tough? Try another location's shot;

Somewhere out there..

That one is even craning its neck..



Here's a Hare at the same site;
Not in a great pose, I admit..


Speaking of Hares....

"You know, actually we don't like Cowslips.."


I saw more Hares than I'd seen previously put together...

Also flowers and butterflies - loads of Orange Tips and Brimstones - and a nice array of warblers.


So, job's a good 'un, but my plan of looking for Singing Things was kaiboshed by the very sunny weather... What to do?

Go somewhere else I'd had an eye on..


Martin Down is a lot bigger than I'd thought and much more popular with dog walkers.. But still had some wonderful birds! Hobby and RL Partridge for two. This is a site you could easily lose a day in - I will be back.


Then, continuing on, I went for somewhere with height for yet another round of skywatching. [This being seawatching without the rough weather. Or the sea.]

Maiden Castle also has a profusion of Corn Buntings - there were 5 having a sing-off around the car park, for frick's sake! - which is another good thing.

Much better, certainly than my phone's reaction to Corn Bunt in sunshine;

Darn burn-out..

Ahem.


So, defying the heat, I lugged the Big Scope up to the top - on the way solving the mystery of how Rome got in so easily;

vidi veni vici, perhaps?

-and plonked down to see what I could see.

There were plenty of birds on the wing; gulls and corvids aside, there were Swifts and hirundines, the odd soaring Buzzard...

But wait! An actual non-buteo raptor!

A Hobby, low and fast as they often are, but that's the advantage of a good viewpoint. Second of the day, and not bad [though a couple of Crows didn't agree, they were easily outpaced].

Then something soaring way off to the north.. Hmm, funny Buzzard? Might as well stay on it until it gives a good view, as that tail looks long. Wait and wait and.. Red Kite! Get in.
:)


While it was a long day - and I was knackered by the time I finally got back - I didn't really feel it when I was doing it. Well, except for salisbury. Oh ye gods and little fishes the traffic... Aaaarg.



Getting back, I found where all those forecast heavy showers and thundery bringers of woe were.. Devon!



So, another Lifer bites the dust, and I turn my attention wholeheartedly on my Most Wanted Most Desired [and now Most Dipped]...


BEE-EATER


Due notice, dear readers, I'm on a mission.



Be Seeing You..




No comments:

Post a Comment