21 June, 2017

Mad Dogs and Backward Birders


Yes, out in the noonday sun again today.

Nowhere near as far afield this time, just a couple of sites about t' Moor's edge. I got unsurprisingly toasty - well, it was 30° - and at first rather brassed-off, as my [longstringofrudewords] autofocus pulled a royal one and refused to lock on to the most showy butterfly I've ever met that wasn't actually dead...

Yup, after butterflies. Frits to be particular. I did not get shots of everything - the heat had given them superpowers - but I got shots of somethings, so cover your eyes....

Small Heath, pauses for microsecond too long...



Speckled Wood, thought it was out of range


So did the Marbled White


Meadow Brown shows them how it's done
"Just vibrate realllly fast and you'll look out of focus!"


I did say frits, though, didn't I?

ID Challenge!

Ohhh, it's a Silver-washed!

Remember how I said I was vexed by my camera? Observe. No zoom, no crop;

This was attempt no. 7..

Yeah, High Brown Fritillary, 'most endangered butterfly in Britain', flew up to me, perched, posed, ignored me totally. And my camera would not focus on it.

It was far too hot to shout and swear and curse, but oh, I thought some very hard thoughts indeed....



A change of tactic was tried, with my classic 'find a nice spot, have some lunch, see what flies by' routine selected.

You might want to look away;

ID Challenge 2


"So, which do you think is my best side?"


"I reckon it's this one"

Higher than High...

:D


It wasn't all plain sailing; the other frits were in no mood for even stopping, let alone letting me try photography at them.. Oh well.


It wasn't all butterflies, either;

Female Golden-ringed Dragonfly

Male Keeled Skimmer


Willow Warbler


Stonechat

Not a Buzzard...

..Though with a Bunny!


And thus the lack of locational clarity. ;)



Be Seeing You..



No comments:

Post a Comment