31 December, 2019

Inevitable End Of Year Post...


Because it seems to be that way.


A year marked by me definitely not chasing any lists, despite a somewhat accidental Glorious First [I didn't start out trying, but it went so well I just rolled with it]. A year also marked by a paucity of seawatching, with poorly-timed weather and work adding to the loss of my Spot. [Don't dis the Spot, every seawatcher's got one]. Of course, Real Life got in the way in various manners to remind me that birds are fun but..



Turning away from that and back to why I'm here.


In a year when I saw not an awful lot of spp. [118 Patch, 218 for Devon*, 234 for Britain], I did get a few landmarks - well in listing terms anyway.

Devon ticks like That Screwy Duck and what seemed for a long time to be the year's Star Bird - the wonderful DW Stone Curlew - were outnumbered by a late and gratifying flurry of Lifers, including very-overdue's like Western Bonelli's Warbler and Red-eyed Vireo, wait-long-enough's like the Little Bas Bustard, likely-to-turn-up-eventually's like those wonderful Boobies, and full-on-whisky-tango's; yes, that pipit special.

Come on, Paddyfield Pipit is a bird only people who've got 'Pipits and Wagtails' or have burned far too much carbon have even heard of!?!!

But there, in a slightly muddy, rather windy field on the scrag end of cornywall was not only the showiest pipit this side of the Hope's Nose Rockits, but a free bonus Lifer wandering around right next to it..! Cessation of Wonders and all that....


Also some pain; head and shoulders above being the Bluethroat - that one hurts still - with it only beaten by the loss of my seawatching spot to the cruel sea. Yes, that's erosion and nothing to do with me, but well... Count the seawatching posts. :(


 Twitching isn't just about the birds, and even when you fail, or succeed on a technicality [BWT, I'm looking at you] it can still be if not fun then not so bad. After all, the craic of a good twitch is one of life's lesser known joys. Whether it's birders you've not seen since the last one, local mates, or utter strangers from anywhere.


Wandering away from birds [gasp], I got a little more serious with the butterflies, culminating in two wonderful days [eventually] with the Duke and Heath Frits. If only they'd been in Devon, eh?

Definitely in Devon - indeed right by the Patch - was the amazing Red-veined Darter extravaganza. With bonus Scarce Chasers, to boot!


But Star Bird of the Year, wildlife moment of the year, happened not that long ago at all. I even got a few photos - awful and out of focus though they were - which goes to show how my priorities are shifting.
Not that much though, as this was me being me; wandering off alone thinking I might see a bird based on logic, reason, and sheer stubbornness persistence. Amazingly it worked**.


But anyway. Here again, a tiniest taste of a bird who [this gender, anyway] is scarcer to me than Stone Curlews. Indeed, I've seen as many Brown Boobies as I have adult male Hen Harriers.

Hen Harrier
Laughter Tor

Wow...

A few other shots from the year..

Stone Curlew
Dawlish Warren
[IL strikes again!]

I am legally obliged to put a horrid gull or four in, so getting it over with;

Caspian Gull
Pontworthy Dam

And the traditional 'Worth More To Me Than  x As It's On My Balcony!' bird;

House Sparrow
Home

Kingfisher
Stover


Merlin
Powderham Marsh

Flyd Piecatcher
Yarner


Duke of Burgundy
Cerne Abbas

Heath Fritillary
Exmoor

Long-tailed Blue
Axmouth

Red-veined Darter
Clennon

Western Bonelli's Warbler
Trevescan


White Stork [and 'friend']
Porthgwarra

Long-billed Dowitcher
[in classic pose]
Bowling Green

Brown Booby
Kynance Cove

Paddyfield Pipit
Sennen

Last and not quite least;

That Screwy Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Mansands


Missed a lot of things out, of course, this was just a quick scan through the vast amounts of dross pictures I've taken. [[Oh dear, what can I do?]].


Anyways, time presses [it just won't let me pause it, you know, no matter how nicely I ask...] so that'd better be it.

The Great Big Reset Button is coming, and tomorrow is a brand new start. Ah, the joy of the Feral Pig you want to see [just the one, on the 1st!!].


[And yes, I know I have a backlog of posts again.... I've been distracted due to going out having fun / staying in suffering]

[[And no, I'm not doing a Top Ten Fungi of the Year, contrary to dire rumours expectations]]
[[[Though it is an idea..... ]]]


I shall, no doubt,

Be Seeing You...


[[*Yes, I got almost half of them on 1/1....]]
[[**I freely admit is almost always doesn't]]

No comments:

Post a Comment